Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little over a month ago I bought a stache 5 from my lbs. Since purchasing the bike I have brought the bike back to the shop after every ride for a headset problem and a flat due to rim tape issue. After about 5 or 6 visits the tech at the shop said they are going to contact trek about getting a replacement. My issue is now I have a bad taste in my mouth about the bike and would rather upgrade to a 7 or switch to a different model in treks lineup all together. I feel I should have the option because the bike has been defective since the day I bought it. Soooo my question should I let the bike shop handle it or contact trek myself and is my desire to upgrade/change the bike completely out of the question?

Lastly what is the time Frame for something like this? I took time off of work at the beginning of next week. To go ride a few trails that are normally to far.

Ty for any replies

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you're going to get an identical replacement(hopefully for free) then I'd take it. The headset issue is probably a manufacturing defect. And the rim tape thing is easily fixed and has nothing to do with the frame. Bad rim taping happens to everyone. The 5 does have some pretty el cheapo parts on it. If Trek decides to take back the bike or warranty, all you need to do is ask about getting an upgraded trim(but don't be a dick about it). You will pay the difference in trims, however. Inform the bike shop of what you'd like them to do and that you'd feel better with the 7 due to better parts and let them handle it. Let me reiterate this - don't be a dick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Def not being a dick about it. I understand **** happens and as long as I feel I have been treated fairly, I'm good. Ide Def prefer to go to the 7 and fine with paying the difference. I don't expect to get anything for free just want the option to make a change.

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
Talk it over with your shop, Trek customer service (from personal experience) is brilliant and will work with your LBS and you to make sure you're happy with the bike you're riding.

Sorry to read that you got a bike with problems.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think if they warranty a frame you need to talk with the shop. At that point they will have a bicycle to sell again (the new warrantied frame), and can sell you the bike you want.

The think that caught my attention is when you said that as long as YOU feel that you are treated properly.
A situation like this makes us always want more, to be made better than we were. Hopefully you can keep yourself grounded and understand the real problem and what a solution is. If they say no warranty, that's different than, we won't allow an upgrade. Wanting an upgrade on a new bike suggests buyers remorse -and that isn't what a bike shop is in business for.

It sounds like they are on the right track. And definitely let the shop deal with the manufacturer before you attempt to reach out to Trek directly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spent 2k on a defective bike and the problem has persisted since the day I bought it. The tech thought it was a simple fix but after 5 attempts to fix it he said I need a replacement. I have a paper trail showing me dropping it off for the problem 2 days after buying it. If I was told on day one it is a fatal problem I would have exchanged/upgraded on it on the spot. Dropping the bike off after every ride has Def given me buyers remorse when it comes to the 5. I'm not asking for a refund, I just want a product I'm happy with and not something I have had a previous bad experience with. Say what you will but I'm the type that once I have a constant issue with a product that is no fault of my own. I no longer want that product. I have no problem paying the difference and not looking for a freebie.

My lbs agrees and is going to bat on my behalf Monday. I will update at that point.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You aren't the first person that I have read about with a poor headset. A recent thread has a Santa Cruz person getting a warranty bike due to poor bearing engagement in the headset.

It happens. Shop has recognized it.

What is the difference between the frame of the trek 5 and trek 7 that would affect the headset issues?
I'm not a Trek guy but though it was the trim of the bike, not the frame?

·
Community Manager at Trek
599 Posts
Hey Crashing, Mitch from Trek here. Sorry to hear about your Stache! Having the shop working with us is the best method of getting this worked out and our warranty team is more than happy to work with them and you! Our claim turnaround times have shortened significantly so you should see this resolved pretty quick too. For the upgrade to the 7, have your LBS make that a query on the claim submission for our team to be aware of. I think the upgrade would certainly be worth it for the fork and the drivetrain alone.

Feel free to shoot me any questions or concerns if they arise going forward.

Cheers,
Mitch

·
Registered
594 Posts
Head set issue may be the star nut. Mine kept creeping up and I pushed it back down and no problems now. I bought a 5 because I didn't know how I'd like it. Love the bike and have upgraded it with, Line pro 40's, pike,eagle ,dropper and XT.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
How I look at this:

Trek pays the LBS a part of the take to serve as the intermediary and provide support the the customer. The expectation is the LBS has the willingness and technical chops to do this. They need to diagnose any issue, resolve it with adjustment or replacement parts, or submit the issue to Trek as needed. Trek's obligation is to rectify any shortcomings in materials or workmanship of the frame or other Bontrager branded parts. Once they've done that, they've met their obligation.

Sometimes the LBS doesn't measure up to the task, so Trek needs to step in and address the customer's issues directly. However, once they've gotten the original product to work as designed, intended, and specified, they've met their obligation. Your deciding to upgrade is on you.

Last I checked, Trek delivers bikes with tubes and it's up to the LBS to set them up tubeless if so desired by the customer. If there's a problem with the tape leaking, it's an workmanship issue with the LBS.

If the headset gets loose, it could have originated and a workmanship issue with the LBS or a materials/workmanship issue with frame/fork.

Irrespective of all the above, it's in Trek's best interest to have happy customers, so they may go above and beyond their statutory and contractual obligation to do that.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
How I look at this:

Trek pays the LBS a part of the take to serve as the intermediary and provide support the the customer. The expectation is the LBS has the willingness and technical chops to do this. They need to diagnose any issue, resolve it with adjustment or replacement parts, or submit the issue to Trek as needed. Trek's obligation is to rectify any shortcomings in materials or workmanship of the frame or other Bontrager branded parts. Once they've done that, they've met their obligation.

Sometimes the LBS doesn't measure up to the task, so Trek needs to step in and address the customer's issues directly. However, once they've gotten the original product to work as designed, intended, and specified, they've met their obligation. Your deciding to upgrade is on you.

Last I checked, Trek delivers bikes with tubes and it's up to the LBS to set them up tubeless if so desired by the customer. If there's a problem with the tape leaking, it's an workmanship issue with the LBS.

If the headset gets loose, it could have originated and a workmanship issue with the LBS or a materials/workmanship issue with frame/fork.

Irrespective of all the above, it's in Trek's best interest to have happy customers, so they may go above and beyond their statutory and contractual obligation to do that.
BOOM.

read my mind on this

OP.
If Trek is going to warranty you a frame. Last time I had a frame warrantied that all they replaced. Headset could be a bear issue or fork issue. I had a frame( Not a trek) do that. After each ride, it would be loose. they added a spacer into the headset and it didn't happen again.

Wheels aren't trek/Bontrager wheels. Your LBS taped them.

Not many parts on your bike are actually a trek part.

I have had nothing but good service from Trek when I have had something warrantied and my LBS has taken care of me with anything I need done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.