Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
small member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I’m in Europe, so 29ers are hard to come by…
So, I’m in the process to get a like-new 2002 Mt Tam (At a sweet price!). Since the frame is a XL and I’m 5’7, it’s not gonna fit me (I’m buying it for the parts).
So I’m looking for a V-brakes-ready-frame to complete what will be my first 29er.
A really cheap option right now is a Beone Cikara, but I know nothing about it…it look more like an hybrid than a MTB.
As anyone experience with it ?
My main concern is that the Cikara is speced with a Manitou South fork. How tall is it ?
Will the Marzo MX 29 I’m gonna slap on it slacken the HA too much ? How tall is it anyway ?
I’d like to keep the price down to upgrade later for my dream frame, but I don’t want to buy total crap either.
So is the Cikara frame any good?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have no idea about Beone bikes, but I can't believe its not a hybrid. Beone are part of the Dutch Batavus company IIRC, and I really don't think they'd be interested in making a 29er. Send a PM to cloxxki, he'll probably set you straight.

·
small member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mindphaser said:
...just in case you've seen it somewhere else - chainreaction has the BeOne on a radical discount. Don't know anything about that frame... :???:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15226
Yeah, that's the deal I've been eyeing...

And CRC lists the Cikara as a 29er
so do MTBR.com in the review section
so do french mag VeloVert...

BUT...

It comes stock with an unknown fork (trekking fork?), Nanoraptors, almost no sloping in the TT and in 3 sizes : 19-21-23 inches...
...which all scream "Trekking bike!"

:confused:

perhaps Specialized didn't invent the "freeroading" concept after all...

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I managed to find one mtbr post vi google when I looked at this frame and it basically said that this was more a commuter frame than a true 29er.
I would look at the Zion via Jenson or an On-One Inbred. That is what I am looking at now anyway.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
It's pretty much trekking geometry with 29" tire clearance. Look at the numbers. COuld work out well for certain types of riding though, even pretty extreme.

·
no fat chicks
774 Posts
where did you find that XL mt. tam?
if you don't buy it, i want that bike
if you do buy it, i want the frame

wedge said:
First, I'm in Europe, so 29ers are hard to come by…
So, I'm in the process to get a like-new 2002 Mt Tam (At a sweet price!). Since the frame is a XL and I'm 5'7, it's not gonna fit me (I'm buying it for the parts).
So I'm looking for a V-brakes-ready-frame to complete what will be my first 29er.
A really cheap option right now is a Beone Cikara, but I know nothing about it…it look more like an hybrid than a MTB.
As anyone experience with it ?
My main concern is that the Cikara is speced with a Manitou South fork. How tall is it ?
Will the Marzo MX 29 I'm gonna slap on it slacken the HA too much ? How tall is it anyway ?
I'd like to keep the price down to upgrade later for my dream frame, but I don't want to buy total crap either.
So is the Cikara frame any good?

·
small member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cloxxki said:
It's pretty much trekking geometry with 29" tire clearance. Look at the numbers. COuld work out well for certain types of riding though, even pretty extreme.
what numbers? CRC only list ST and TT...

What kind of riding would you do with it?
I'm planning on racing the Grand Raid CRistalp in Switz. with it, are you familiar with that event? Mostly fireroad climbing, but a few nasty singletrack with roots or big rocks on the DH portion...

·
small member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
iliketoridebikes said:
where did you find that XL mt. tam?
if you don't buy it, i want that bike
if you do buy it, i want the frame
I won an auction on a website (not, it wasn't ebay) since I was the only bidder (not many people here know what a 29er is...).
I should have it next week.
I have a friend that might be interested in the frame, but if not you're first in line (you're aware that I'm in Europe, right? so shipping might be a problem...)
Are you in a hurry?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is a Surly Karate Monkey out of your budget?

If not, you could build a cool bike (ok, might not be the lightest).

If you wish to go that way, check the front derailleur clearance issue on Surly website: if the one you'll get from the MT Tam is KM-compliant, go for it.

·
small member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AshKa said:
Is a Surly Karate Monkey out of your budget?

If not, you could build a cool bike (ok, might not be the lightest).

If you wish to go that way, check the front derailleur clearance issue on Surly website: if the one you'll get from the MT Tam is KM-compliant, go for it.
my budget is stretchable, as a bunch of component without any frame are tough to ride...

but I plan to race on it, so the KM weight scare me.

On the other hand, it's one of the koolest frame around, über-versatile and all...

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do you really think so. Personally I think the Beone looks like, well you know.

Why not save your money for somethins from a proper dealer. I know CRC sell a decent alu 26" frame but I really can't see that this frame is going to deliver what you want.

Why are you so set on it? Please don't be offended, I just can't follow why you think this is suitable.

I'm Dutch, Beone is a dutch company, they don't do 29ers, they do hybrids. Why would you want to ride a hybrid over the alps?

Each to their own, but I don't get it.

·
small member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
English Bob said:
Do you really think so. Personally I think the Beone looks like, well you know.

Why not save your money for somethins from a proper dealer. I know CRC sell a decent alu 26" frame but I really can't see that this frame is going to deliver what you want.

Why are you so set on it? Please don't be offended, I just can't follow why you think this is suitable.

I'm Dutch, Beone is a dutch company, they don't do 29ers, they do hybrids. Why would you want to ride a hybrid over the alps?

Each to their own, but I don't get it.
5 letters C-H-E-A-P !!!

I agree with you on its look.:eek:
I'm not really set on it, I was just curious.:skep:
But I just noticed it's disc-only.:nono:
So it's out of the equation.

What do you ride?

·
small member
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:thumbsup:

Yeah, it answers my question and then some...

really pretty bikes you have here.

If only the ScandAL was available with V-bosses...

I might have to go with the Inbred then. Do you know how much the frame weights?

too bad we only have limited selection here, and thanks god for on-one; now if only the £ could become somewhat weaker...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Its insulation tape. I wanted to see where the cables would sit before putting those little stickers on the frame to stop cable rub. So I put long strips of tape on. Its not permanent, nor are the steerer spacers.

No idea how much the inbred weighs; 2100g? I believe the newer version coming in March is lighter as it doesn't have the sliding dropouts.

Where are you in Europe BTW?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.