Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a picture of the bent dropout on my UzziVP. It`s a little confusing because the derailleur has wrapped clockwise around the cassette; the photo is taken from the rear. The dropout is bent and I`m wondering how to proceed. I`m thinking: vice and rubber mallet. I really hope I don`t have to replace this, as it`s espensivo in Japan.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
unscrew the RD.... if u can't coz it's bent, rotate the derailleur opposite of how it came to that situation first.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bend it

Dopa...sucks to bend one of these, I've bent 2, one on a stick like you. Like all other hangers I've ever bent I found that bending it into place is doable, but mine always seem to have a slight twist that I can't seem to get out, which makes tuninng the rear mech a challenge.

I use a big plumbers vice, hammer, breaker bar, a rod thru the mech screw hole and anything else I can find to gain leverage (what do you have to lose?, right). Before I bought a spare I bent mine back 2 times and no cracks or obvious fatigue semed to develop. I think my spare was 135$ here in the states.

Good luck.

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
on straightening the bent: screw a long bolt with the same thread and sandwich the dropout w/ a nut on each side so you don't screw-up the thread. grab something tubular that would allow the bolt to fit inside it snugly. crank that tubular piece accordingly to get it to align properly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
peachy-B said:
on straightening the bent: screw a long bolt with the same thread and sandwich the dropout w/ a nut on each side so you don't screw-up the thread. grab something tubular that would allow the bolt to fit inside it snugly. crank that tubular piece accordingly to get it to align properly.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Some good advice on methods of straightening the dropout. I would also recommend a Park DAG tool to align it properly

Attachments

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
peachy-B said:

Thanks all

Peachy-b: nice one - I`m liking this idea. I`m also thinking, since the deraileur is completely totaled, I may just lock a pipe wrench on it, and use it for leverage....

Here`s the current state of affairs, from another angle. Warning: Some viewers may find the following image disturbing

Attachments

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
it doesn't look like it's completely totaled. you could still use many of those parts in case you bust another XO.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I recommend you bend it back before you remove the derailleur. It will reduce the chances that you will damage the threads. I like to use a T-handle allen wrench in the mount hole. You only need to get it close before you move on to a more accurate alignment method.

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
peachy-B said:
it doesn't look like it's completely totaled. you could still use many of those parts in case you bust another XO.
Yeah good point. Especially that Ti spring; I could put that into an X9...

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CalEpic said:
Some good advice on methods of straightening the dropout. I would also recommend a Park DAG tool to align it properly
That`s a cool tool - Amazon`s selling it now as a set with a rubber hammer for around 70 bucks...

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I gave up on this dropout. The deraileur bolt hole is ovalized and the threads are torn. I`ll add some pics to this post.

What is most amazing is that when I contacted the Intense distributor here in Japan to get a new G3, I instead got a lecture. In the most insulting Japanese, the guy told me that his company ( `Fun Fancy` ) does not supply parts, service or information to people who do not buy their Intense frames from him. They demand to know the frame serial number before they`ll provide anything, and if they didn`t sell it, tough luck This is the same company that REFUSED to import a large frame into Japan for me; I got mine from WrenchScience. He actually said,

`If you want to use discount companies like ChainReactionCycles, then this is the price: you can turn to them for parts. This is Intense Japan.`

All I wanted was to buy one G3 dropout, at their insanely inflated price of 24,000yen, or 250$ (that`s just for the drive side, not for the set). I really think that Intense should rethink their relationship with this distributor. Their prices are just rude.. I think the Uzzi frame lists for around 4000$... And then US companies like Saddletime refuse to ship parts to countries with `established distribution`....

Sorry, I`m ranting.

Pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Contact these guys, Jadyn is your man there.

The were very very helpful in getting my my I9 wheels and 2011 fox fork when no one else would ship outside of the USA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts