Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a picture of the bent dropout on my UzziVP. It`s a little confusing because the derailleur has wrapped clockwise around the cassette; the photo is taken from the rear. The dropout is bent and I`m wondering how to proceed. I`m thinking: vice and rubber mallet. I really hope I don`t have to replace this, as it`s espensivo in Japan.... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Bend it

Dopa...sucks to bend one of these, I've bent 2, one on a stick like you. Like all other hangers I've ever bent I found that bending it into place is doable, but mine always seem to have a slight twist that I can't seem to get out, which makes tuninng the rear mech a challenge.

I use a big plumbers vice, hammer, breaker bar, a rod thru the mech screw hole and anything else I can find to gain leverage (what do you have to lose?, right). Before I bought a spare I bent mine back 2 times and no cracks or obvious fatigue semed to develop. I think my spare was 135$ here in the states.

Good luck.

·
rain rain go away...
1,195 Posts
on straightening the bent: screw a long bolt with the same thread and sandwich the dropout w/ a nut on each side so you don't screw-up the thread. grab something tubular that would allow the bolt to fit inside it snugly. crank that tubular piece accordingly to get it to align properly.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
peachy-B said:
on straightening the bent: screw a long bolt with the same thread and sandwich the dropout w/ a nut on each side so you don't screw-up the thread. grab something tubular that would allow the bolt to fit inside it snugly. crank that tubular piece accordingly to get it to align properly.
:thumbsup:

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
peachy-B said:
Thanks all

Peachy-b: nice one - I`m liking this idea. I`m also thinking, since the deraileur is completely totaled, I may just lock a pipe wrench on it, and use it for leverage....

Here`s the current state of affairs, from another angle. Warning: Some viewers may find the following image disturbing

Attachments

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I recommend you bend it back before you remove the derailleur. It will reduce the chances that you will damage the threads. I like to use a T-handle allen wrench in the mount hole. You only need to get it close before you move on to a more accurate alignment method.

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
peachy-B said:
it doesn't look like it's completely totaled. you could still use many of those parts in case you bust another XO.
Yeah good point. Especially that Ti spring; I could put that into an X9...

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CalEpic said:
Some good advice on methods of straightening the dropout. I would also recommend a Park DAG tool to align it properly
That`s a cool tool - Amazon`s selling it now as a set with a rubber hammer for around 70 bucks...

·
Intense Uzzer
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I gave up on this dropout. The deraileur bolt hole is ovalized and the threads are torn. I`ll add some pics to this post.

What is most amazing is that when I contacted the Intense distributor here in Japan to get a new G3, I instead got a lecture. In the most insulting Japanese, the guy told me that his company ( `Fun Fancy` ) does not supply parts, service or information to people who do not buy their Intense frames from him. They demand to know the frame serial number before they`ll provide anything, and if they didn`t sell it, tough luck This is the same company that REFUSED to import a large frame into Japan for me; I got mine from WrenchScience. He actually said,

`If you want to use discount companies like ChainReactionCycles, then this is the price: you can turn to them for parts. This is Intense Japan.`

All I wanted was to buy one G3 dropout, at their insanely inflated price of 24,000yen, or 250$ (that`s just for the drive side, not for the set). I really think that Intense should rethink their relationship with this distributor. Their prices are just rude.. I think the Uzzi frame lists for around 4000$... And then US companies like Saddletime refuse to ship parts to countries with `established distribution`....

Sorry, I`m ranting.

Pics:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.