Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use some advice from the more experienced riders.

Ill be buying a new trek fuel or slash when the 2020’s arrive but I also want a dedicated downhill bike for more aggressive trails.

I’m not looking for a cutting edge downhill bike with the latest greatest gear just looking for a awesome older downhill bike that gets pretty close to the riding experience of the newer downhill bikes out there.

would a downhill bike from 2010-2015 be something to consider? If so which models.

Or does the newer stuff just make the older bikes obsolete?

Any advice appreciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you maybe good for 2014 for some brands/models... that was transition to the newer geos of longer and slacker plus 27.5 wheelsize
Hey, thanks for the reply. So 2014 marks a big change in frame geometry.
That's good to know. Is the change in geometry substantial enough to not consider the bikes before 2014

·
Registered
499 Posts
Tough to go wrong with a Giant Glory for a solid DH bike with modern geo/27.5 wheels and a low price point. The stock forks on them aren't the best but if you're just looking to get in the door with a big bike I'd start there.

I wouldn't ignore old bikes either though. One of my regular riding buds is on an old 26" Canfield Jedi and he's an absolute savage on it.

·
always licking the glass
4,060 Posts
I don’t see why not. I still have a 2015 Gambler that I ride and love.

The newer DH bikes are designed to be long and stable AFAIK. Some folks like more jumpy bikes.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Throw an angleset and upgrade the fork damper in older DH bikes and they become very capable and a bargain!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Yeah, around 2015 marks the point of new geo and move to 275 wheels. Cool thing is I can't say geo has changed too much since then. Still on my 2015 Glory and wouldn't think of trading it in, except just maybe for a 29" Glory, but that's is still just a maybe.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you go with a slash, you probably don't need a DH bike. Your the slash is going to be as or more capable than a 2010 DH bike.

Also, if you go with the older models, you probably going to want go up a size... because the reach is so short on them and you are going to be used to riding longer reach on the 2020 fuel or slash.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The 2015 Mondraker Summum was way ahead of its time, so much so that the Factory team still uses it to this day, and wins podiums.

Btw, if you're getting a 2020 Slash, you might want to try it on your DH runs. It's a pretty capable bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The difference is significant if you compare a 2009 bike with a 2020. But a 5 even 7 year old bike it's not that different from a newer model bike. Yea, sure, the drive train may be a bit old or the suspension, but you can swap those in no time. Also on the suspension/fork side of things if you get a last generation bike (even a bit older) you may find yourself getting a good deal on a really nice spec one that supports a damper upgrade for way less money then a new fork. 👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.