Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I start to learn how to turn a tight corner on a wheelie, like 90 deg?
also how can I start to learn how to manual (longer than just a few seconds?)

I can't ride a wheelie downhill becuse I get going too fast, but haven't yet learned how to find that alternation between rear brake and somehow keeping the bike in that balance point. Simply can't wheelie downhill very good and want to be able to manual

thanks!

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
it really depends on practice -- the amount, the quality, the focus

one of my riding buddies took 4 years of steady practice to learn wheelies & manuals.

another one took 1 month.

it's taken me about 1.5 years of practice to get comfortable with seated pedal wheelies. I can manual on a trail easily, but a sustained "show-off" manual down a trail is not something I practice. I am more focused on what makes me ride better, not how to show off.

there's no instant secret. if there were, everyone whould ride around on one wheel or the other as a usual thing.

·
i should be working
532 Posts
gonzostrike said:
I am more focused on what makes me ride better, not how to show off.
QUOTE]

booo, dont think of it as showing off. think of it as inspiring little kids and gettin' ladies.

what size tires do you have? you are going to need atleast a 2.2 to have decent control on one wheel IMO. i'm not saying it can't be dont on skinnies but its easier to learn with a big ass back tire.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My XC bike has 2.2 front and rear

But I plan to get a sort of dirtjumping hardtail with flat pedals, for trick pratice
I dont' care to show off, i just think all these skills and tricks sort of also apply to the trail.
Like when someone has a really good BMX or DH background, you can see it in their riding style on the trail, they are simply way above the average XC rider,
plus it looks cool as hell!

rpl3000 said:
gonzostrike said:
I am more focused on what makes me ride better, not how to show off.
QUOTE]

booo, dont think of it as showing off. think of it as inspiring little kids and gettin' ladies.

what size tires do you have? you are going to need atleast a 2.2 to have decent control on one wheel IMO. i'm not saying it can't be dont on skinnies but its easier to learn with a big ass back tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats why I practice street and trials moves. It always helps to be more comfortable on the bike.

Also, for me I just love the feeling of doing some of those cool things. Even if no one is watching it is nice to impress your self, and that is why I do it. I want to impress my self.

My only advice is be patient, and get real low over the back wheel. I'm not very good at it either but that seems to be the trick.

JOSH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.