Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very limited experience on SoMo, having ridden National/Mormon Loop all of four times now.

A Tucson buddy and I want to come up to SoMo and ride down some of the more challenging downhill trails and shuttle back up for some repeats.

Would any of you Valley area folks care to advise which are the best trails for this purpose, and what is the paved road access to go back up to the top?

Incidentally, we are fully respectful of the fact that these are multiuse trails with other riders going uphill, we are not going to be irresponsible about riding down these trails. :)

Thanks for your input.

John W.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
There is a shuttle that picks up people at the bottom on the 'Central' entrance of the park (by the Scorpion Gulch area) and will run you to the Buena Vista lot. If you park at the main entrance you've gone too far.

From there the shuttle monkeys usually take Geronimo down to the Boy Scout camp and pedal back to the park. Very few hikers or uphill bikers.

Also, there is Holbert... which to me, is a lot more challenging, but it does drop you off inside the park. Very few hikers or uphill bikers.

You can also catch National from there, but it essentially ends at the 'wrong' end of the park and makes for a LONG ride back to the shuttle pick up, but if you ride down National and pick up Mormon, it will drop you off in the general area... Its still a pedal back (especially on a DH bike), but not as bad as following National to the end (at Pima Canyon). You will see every biker, hiker, kid, MILF, freak, etc on this trail. It won't be too bad with the heat/humidity, but I wouldn't recommend DH'ing this one.

There are usually a bunch of shuttle monkeys on the bus, and they can also help you along as well!

papajohn said:
I have very limited experience on SoMo, having ridden National/Mormon Loop all of four times now.

A Tucson buddy and I want to come up to SoMo and ride down some of the more challenging downhill trails and shuttle back up for some repeats.

Would any of you Valley area folks care to advise which are the best trails for this purpose, and what is the paved road access to go back up to the top?

Incidentally, we are fully respectful of the fact that these are multiuse trails with other riders going uphill, we are not going to be irresponsible about riding down these trails. :)

Thanks for your input.

John W.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
Hey John- The road you want is at the southern end of Central Ave - remember where we stopped to get water after the coast to coast? It's that same system but you'll veer left to go up rather than right(straight). As far as I know there is Kawanis, Geronimo and of course National. I'd likely hit them in that order.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
crash test dummy said:
Hey John- The road you want is at the southern end of Central Ave - remember where we stopped to get water after the coast to coast? It's that same system but you'll veer left to go up rather than right(straight). As far as I know there is Kawanis, Geronimo and of course National. I'd likely hit them in that order.
and holbert...dont forget holbert!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies...

I can see where Holbert and Geronimo look to be the top two candidates, and both exit reasonably close to the Central Avenue park entrance. I think we are good to go.

Thanks for the help.

One last question. There appears to be a trail that goes north off of National and drops down to the end of 24th. Where is the top end of this trail in relation to the Waterfall (East or West), and is it a decent trail?

John W.

·
I lean like a cholo!
452 Posts
24th St or Mormon

papajohn said:
I can see where Holbert and Geronimo look to be the top two candidates, and both exit reasonably close to the Central Avenue park entrance. I think we are good to go.

Thanks for the help.

One last question. There appears to be a trail that goes north off of National and drops down to the end of 24th. Where is the top end of this trail in relation to the Waterfall (East or West), and is it a decent trail?

John W.
That is the 24th St trail or Mormon trail. Its a fun trail lots of rocks, steps and steeps. I have seen more hikers on this trail than on geronimo or holbert. You can pick up this trailif you descend down national (below waterfall) and past the national fork to the left, to mormon, up a small climb, catch the trail to the left. I like the trail but I like Holbert and geronimo better (in that order). Holbert and geronimo are faster and seem like longer rides. Good luck! Have fun and pack the armor.
John :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.