Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a RIP 9 in the next month or so. I was hoping this large group of intelligent 29er owners could help with the build. I am about 6'2" and 250lbs. I ride mostly in Minnesota, but typically travel two to three time a year to various locals around the U.S. to ride.

A couple of my major concerns are with the fork and wheel set selection. I have demoed the new Fox 29 on a Superfly for a day and was impressed with it. Preferably a I-9 wheel set would do the job....I don't have that kind of cash to spend on a wheel set.

Any other advice the RIP Niner owners have out there would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for you time!! :thumbsup:

·
HTFU and Ride
1,216 Posts
check with mikesee on here about wheels. he knows a thing or two:)

are you going 1x9 or what for the gearing?

if you got the dough for the 120mm F29 that would be SCHWEET!

i ride a rigid ss but lust for a RIP 9 or Sultan....someday i will have a FS 29er:)

good luck with the build!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
DmacBmac said:
I am purchasing a RIP 9 in the next month or so. I was hoping this large group of intelligent 29er owners could help with the build. I am about 6'2" and 250lbs. I ride mostly in Minnesota, but typically travel two to three time a year to various locals around the U.S. to ride.

A couple of my major concerns are with the fork and wheel set selection. I have demoed the new Fox 29 on a Superfly for a day and was impressed with it. Preferably a I-9 wheel set would do the job....I don't have that kind of cash to spend on a wheel set.

Any other advice the RIP Niner owners have out there would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for you time!! :thumbsup:
Whilst it is not mandatory, the RIP9 does respond very well to slightly longer travel forks. I tested a Manitou 120mm and a White Brothers F135 on the RIP9, as well as a coiled Reba @ 110mm.

At your weight, the WB F135 with the extra springs would work nicely, imo.

Also ... there will be the new Reba coming out fairly soon.

As far as the wheels go, something burly like the Stans Flow, .... or even the Chris Holm rims should do the trick.

Hubs...CK, Hope, Hadley etc...all good.

HTH,

R.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I'm happy with the geometry of White's 135, and it's stiff & precise, but I wonder if that much travel will be overkill for MN riding. It's definitely a fork up to the challenge of your weight.

I've been really pleased with the Halo Freedom Disc rims. I built two sets, for the RIP and my hardtail, and they've been completely reliable. The first pair went onto my hardtail Fall of '06, and I haven't had to lay a finger on them.

http://www.birchwoodvideo.co.uk/rohloffoc/index.php?topic=167.0

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd seriously consider a 1x9 set up - I'm about to convert mine and you could save some dough for better wheels etc.

I also highly recommend a 120mm fork (can't comment on the longer lengths) - I'm running a Manitou thro bolt which I quite like.

Also I'd say go a bolt up rear hub.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for all your advice.:thumbsup: Hopefully all the components I pick will compliment the bikes performance.

How do I get a hold of this mikesee??

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm about your size, been on a RIP for 1 yr. - my opinion - go with 36 spoke wheels - I got

mine from mikesee - http://www.lacemine29.com

Definately go with the WB135F fork and high volume air sleeve on the RP3 shock from Push Industries

http://pushindustries.com/products.php?prod_page=Components&title=Components

Also get some heavy duty brakes like these -

http://www.speedgoat.com/productB.asp?part=136076&cat=26&brand=89

I've tried them all and this is what works for me. Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've had my RIP9 for about a year. I'm 6'2" and weight about 210 with full gear on. I run a WB135 with Kris Holm rims and Hope hubs. I am pretty happy with that setup. The rims are farqing heavy but absolutely bulletproof. Never seen anything quite like them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet!! More advice. Thanks yet again. Sounds like the WB 135 with heavy springs is the way to go. And the Push industries upgrade for the fox RP3, should bring my ride into a trail crushing machine!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.