Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
bikes are people too
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day fellow mtbrs,

So I went for a ride today, usual trail, nothing out of the ordinary, when I realized, after being nearly killed by a rogue branch, that I should get some protective eyewear.

Now, I haven't yet began my full time job, so let's keep in mind the fact that I have about $500 in the bank and a $700 rent check to cut next month (whoops). So, I am looking for a decent pair of glasses that won't scratch or get destroyed too easily, but I don't want to break the bank. I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 or less, since I don't have $300 to drop on a pair of Oakleys. Also, I do not want lenses that are tinted too darkly, as I have a hard enough time seeing the trail as it is (around me, there is a lot of tree cover). So,

- <$50 would be preferable.
- clear/slightly tinted lens, if it isn't interchangeable.
- something that looks decent in a casual situation would also be a plus.

Can anyone help? Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
All I know is that Ryder sunglasses will not help you out if you "brush" your face against the ground, nor will they protect you if you're beaten by the ugly stick.

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
If you have a Lowes or Home Depot by get a set of glasses there for under 20, plus they are safety glasses that will give WAY more protection than the expensive lightweight bling stuff does.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
jugdish said:
All I know is that Ryder sunglasses will not help you out if you "brush" your face against the ground, nor will they protect you if you're beaten by the ugly stick.
Cone on Jugdish, it was a legimate claim! :rolleyes: Just like the time I tried to sue panaracer becuase I lost traction on some slickrock. So what if they were balding, they still are supposed to keep me on the bike.:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with Digitaljs. The Tifosis are a good buy. You may also check out some of the Serfas sunglasses. I think they go for around $55 and come with several sets of lenses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I second safety glasses...

Brown_Teeth said:
If you have a Lowes or Home Depot by get a set of glasses there for under 20, plus they are safety glasses that will give WAY more protection than the expensive lightweight bling stuff does.
I purchased a pair of safety glasses at the local hardware store with clear lenses for night riding to keep the wind out of my eyes. They work great and look like ordinary sunglasses with clear lenses. They are light, comfortable and were only $11.95 so, I'm not worried about losing or breaking them.

I did read another thread somewhere and it was mentioned that yellow lenses help increase visibility at night if you do any night riding. Haven't tried them yet.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
292 Posts
dip n ride said:
Good day fellow mtbrs,

So I went for a ride today, usual trail, nothing out of the ordinary, when I realized, after being nearly killed by a rogue branch, that I should get some protective eyewear.

Now, I haven't yet began my full time job, so let's keep in mind the fact that I have about $500 in the bank and a $700 rent check to cut next month (whoops). So, I am looking for a decent pair of glasses that won't scratch or get destroyed too easily, but I don't want to break the bank. I was thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 or less, since I don't have $300 to drop on a pair of Oakleys. Also, I do not want lenses that are tinted too darkly, as I have a hard enough time seeing the trail as it is (around me, there is a lot of tree cover). So,

Any of the Performance brand glasses work well.

I have the predecessor to these and love them:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22219&subcategory_ID=2510

They are multi-lense and work great. They are very inexpensive and fit me well. They are on sale now for $29 with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
For the most part... the Home Depot/Lowes safety glasses don't look like normal glasses.

I have Serfas glasses (different styles, different shades/tints of the 4 interchangeable lenses, and a nice hard case that easy to throw in the camelbak), but I imagine any of the brands similar would be the same. See what's at your LBS and get whichever pair suits your look and/or budget. Serfas glasses are around $45-50 as well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Native Eyewear Nano 3 glasses at REI outlet. Have some Smith's on clearance as well. Both pairs come with 3 lenses including polarized

·
Banned
2,317 Posts
jugdish said:
Damnit, you beat me to the obvious joke!

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
If you're anywhere near Canada, sneak into a Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) store...I've been using their "Expresso" riding glasses for the last year or so...lotsa lense choices, lenses are cheap, frames look decent and the works have held up when I've taken a branch in the face and/or pooched a landing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My regular street glasses get knocked off from just going past brancjes and other ****, I don't know why you would get sunglasss to protect your eyes when they will probobly get knocked off in any kinds of crash or even brushing past branches.

I'm thinking about getting the googles to go over my glasses so i can rip past tree branches as fast as i feel like, and so i don't lose my glasses if i crash. Looking for possibly broken glasses on the ground sucks when you can't see 2 feet in front of you without them.

·
Registered
629 Posts
k1dude said:
Any of the Performance brand glasses work well.

I have the predecessor to these and love them:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22219&subcategory_ID=2510

They are multi-lense and work great. They are very inexpensive and fit me well.
I second this motion.

Performance glasses are decent quality, usually under $40 when on sale (which is often) and most of them have interchangable lenses. Plus they have different sizes for different faces.

Tifosi is good as well, but Performance is usually even cheaper.

·
bikes are people too
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HaulAss said:
My regular street glasses get knocked off from just going past brancjes and other ****, I don't know why you would get sunglasss to protect your eyes when they will probobly get knocked off in any kinds of crash or even brushing past branches.

I'm thinking about getting the googles to go over my glasses so i can rip past tree branches as fast as i feel like, and so i don't lose my glasses if i crash. Looking for possibly broken glasses on the ground sucks when you can't see 2 feet in front of you without them.
Not particularly looking for protection, which is why I was looking for a pair under $50. The way I see it, if I do hit a branch of something, the glasses may break and I understand that, but at least it won't be my eyeball. I was mostly talking about leaves and smaller sticks... when I ride I don't exactly plan on going head first into large branches, but it would be nice to accommodate this type of accident when it does (and it does) occur. :thumbsup:

Anyways, I've been keeping my eye on some of the Performance glasses, they have a bunch on sale as we type. Thanks for your advice everybody, keep it comin.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The safety glasses advice is good. Check out the Genesis line by Uvex. They look pretty much like riding glasses, but you might not be bold enough to wear them on the street. You can get different colored frames and/or lenses if you want for about $8 a pair. If you lose them or smash them (I haven't been able to yet) who cares? The yellow lenses are great for low-light conditions, like when in the deep woods, or evening rides in the fall or spring. The yellow improves contrast between light and dark, and things really jump out at you. It's kind of freaky at first. The other lenses that are nice, are the SCT 50, which is a light-sensitive coating that changes the tint as you move in and out of strong light. I use these most of the time for road or trail riding. The coating is prone to scratches though, and I have to replace those lense inserts every 12-18 months from dropping them etc. A couple other points worth mentioning; the lenses meet a military ballistic impact requirement, so they offer good eye protection from sticks, rocks, grit, bugs, etc. And, they offer UV protection as well.

You can do some research here: http://www.uvex.com/products/products2.asp?id=24

Or you can buy some here: http://safetyglassesusa.com/genesis.html

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Performance and Nashbar stuff is nice for the price...

dip n ride said:
Good day fellow mtbrs,

Got these for a buddy about 3 years ago and he still has 'em. Just make sure you get multi lense system.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12905&estore_ID=776

AJ

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I work for a government agency. My employer provides Uvex safety glasses to the crafts people. They come in both clear and tinted, are comfortable, work well, and pretty much look like wrap around sport glasses. People are more likely to wear them if they don't look dorky.

Both safety glasses and many brands of sports sunglasses have polycarbonate lenses. This material does not shatter like glass, so is safer for situations where something might impact your glasses. I have noticed that the cheaper safety glasses do seem more prone to scratching, so there may well be variations in these lenses that justify price differentials between brands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts