Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2009 firebird with the SLX kit. Pretty much stock, but looking for affordable ideas on shaving a little off the 35+lb weight. Plan on getting some new wheels & cassette, which will probably lose a pound. Any suggestions? thanks!

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
Wheels and TIRES are always a great place to start. You can easily loose 1-2 #'s there alone. Next look at things like Seatpost, Saddle, Stem, and Bar. All those little things combines can easily shed another pound maybe a lil more. Not sure on the weight of the slx cranks but you might be able to loose a little more there by switching to xt and definitley xtr.

Good luck.

What wheels you gonna git?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Here's my weight weenie FB. Listed below are the components I've swapped on on the stock XT build. I weighed them myself except where noted. Current bike weight is 30.1 lbs. I think it was 31.5 when I started the weight loss plan.

Oury grips to Esi foam: 151-55 = 96g. 20$. 20.8 cents per gram.

Syncros bar to edge composites: 381-181 = 200g. 140$ 70 cents per gram.

XT shifters to SRAM attack gripshifts: (117+111) - (84*2) = 60g 60$ 1$ per gram
(plus cut the grips to 2/3s, maybe saving 55/3 = 18g)

BBG bashguard: 58g. 18$.

WTB saddle to selle italia SLR T1: 315 - 227 = 88g 77$ 1.25$ per gram

KMC x10sl chain, gold. Don't remember what it cost or how much weight it saved. Not that much savings, like 20 to 30g max.

XT brake rotors to formula rotors: (149*2) - (123 front + 110 rear) = 65g 94$ 1.44$ per gram (competitive cyclist pricing, not sure what I actually paid)

XT brakes to formula brakes: (281 + 290) - (202+217) = 152g 600$ 3.94$ per gram
(comp. cyclist pricing) Not cost effective per gram but man are they strong brakes! XTs were with cut lines, formulas uncut lines. No bolts or adapters included in weights.

Stuff I gained weight on:

original wheels to hadley flow wheels: ??? +100g maybe?? But now I'm running tubeless without rim strips, so who knows. Don't remember how much they cost to build, I already had them on my heckler.

Syncros seatpost to joplin: 284 - 534 = gained 250 g. joplin weight is from comp. cyclist.

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts
Some other weights that might be of interest:

Old carbon link vs new - thickness and weight.

Stock syncros stem weight, 181 g with bolts. The plastic wire tie thing on it only weighs about .7g. I think its an 80mm stem.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Ansible,

Great info - just what I was looking for. Thanks! If I can ever get her down to 33 lbs, I'd be happy.

I plan on getting a set of hope hub/flow wheels (another 5% off today at CRC) and maybe a joplin seatpost. Should probably swap out that handlebar/stem next.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Hope/Flow combo

I just had some Flows laced to my Pro II's with DT Comp 2.0-1.8 spokes and they weighed 1750 grams with yellow tape. Pretty light for a light FR wheel.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
How do you like the Fat Albert tires? I just picked up a set of Muddy Mary's that are supposed to be awesome in mud or hardpack. Only one would weigh on my scale and it was 1010g. Not too bad for a beefy 2.4 tire in UST. I think they are going on my Nomad since I JUST mounted the TCS weirwolf 2.3's on the 'bird.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The fat albert is grippy but it hasn't blown me away with the traction levels. It is pretty light for a true 2.4 - casing is 2.39 and knobs are 2.45 and it weighs in at 775g. If the trails ever dry out I'm going to try it at 22-23 lbs instead of 25 and see what that does for the grip.

Same goes for the nobby nic, good performance so far, very light for its size, grip is good but not overwhelming. The casing is 2.36, knobs are 2.30 (smaller!) and it weighs in at 682g in the snakeskin. In comparison, the 2.35 nevegals have a casing that's only 1.98 and knobs are 2.25. I'm hoping the snakeskin will be more durable than the ignitor I had on there before, which got a sidewall cut after about 2 weeks on the bike. I haven't had a chance to ride the nic much on real trails thanks to the weather this winter.

Both tires were super easy to air up with stans.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
I just wanna know how you got that bike to go weightless. And why do you have carpet on the ceiling?:p

·
crash and burn at 45
250 Posts
the stock SLX build is 35 lbs? for reals.

kb, i believe mfshop is lionel richie, he puts the carpet where he likes to dance

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
kenbentit said:
I just wanna know how you got that bike to go weightless. And why do you have carpet on the ceiling?:p
HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
I think the gravity dropper weighs a bit less than the Joplin

·
Registered
862 Posts
kenbentit said:
What can I say? Ever since shedding that 1.5 lbs it just floats around up there. Have to tie it down with a string on trailrides now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Edge Bar

How do you like the edge composites riser bar? Is the bend nearly identical to the syncros? I was think of this mod for my bird too, and that bar is both wide and light, but pricey.

·
Registered
862 Posts
LarsF said:
How do you like the edge composites riser bar? Is the bend nearly identical to the syncros? I was think of this mod for my bird too, and that bar is both wide and light, but pricey.
So far so good. I haven't taken any hard spills with the bar yet so I can't really say much about durability. Not-so-hard spills are fine. I can't tell a difference as far as feel goes.

It may SEEM pricey, but as far as grams per dollar its the cheapest upgrade I did, after grips.

In the attached photo you can see the bar shape is very similar. Because of the angle the edge looks shorter in comparison than it really is - its really only 5mm shorter on each end, 10mm total.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Another bar to look at is the new all mountain carbon bar from Race Face, the SIXC. Wider than the Easton Carbon DH (725 mm), its tough for a carbon bar, has a great bend to it and I believe it is 220 grams. Slightly heavier but less expensive option than the Edge; especially when you use an online coupon with one of the online retailers.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Yeah I am with Ken, when I first looked at the pic I thought I was hallucinating!!!! I will be shooting for 32.5 or 33 lbs with mine which will be a M Black Ano with DHX Air. Es possible?????

1 - 20 of 27 Posts