Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I need you help in deciding between sizes for my Reign. Im 5,7 and i currently own a GIANT TRANCE1 16". It is stock with a 90 or 100mm stem. No problems here. Right now im in the process of building a light duty freeride GIANT REIGN. I built it up using a 90mm stem and now im running a 50mm. with the 50 i feel more cramped. should i stay with the 90 or get an 18" frame and throw the 50mm on that. which is a better setup, longer frame with shorter stem or shorter frame with longer stem. i need your help. thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go for the 16" with the longer stem. I think you'll feel way to stretched out on the 18" unless you have a freakishly long upper body - especially for freeriding. (I'm 5'11" and ride a 18").

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i was thinking the same thing. i think the limit for me would be 70mm and thats pushing it. ill either try an 80 or 90mm.

·
Registered
797 Posts
5'-6" here, and I ride a...

15". Its got a 20.5" effective top tube length, and still has over a 43.5" wheelbase! Using a 75mm Azonic Shorty stem. The bike rolls down the trail like a huge lazy boy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what stem size are you guys running on your reigns? im just waiting for my Diabolus bar then ill start looking into either the 70, 80, or the 90mm stem. All i can say for now is this bike is just badass. my old vt1 which not not stock was good but this baby is even better. props to giant!!!!!

·
In exile
542 Posts
I am 5'11" and ride a 20" with a 70mm stem. I like a longish TT and don't have any trouble getting back. The bike climbs well with a short stem even.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also looking for sizing input

I am 6' 3" and am looking at the Reign 0 or 1. not sure if I would be a Large (20") or XL (21"). I have a 34" inseam... Anyone have some input? I ride trail/all mountain. I am currently riding a BMC trailfox 21", 5 inch travel trail bike. My current bike sizing fits good, but I am wondering if I need to size down on the Reign because it is more in the All mountain category.I want to be more agile but not cramped up on the bike. I have a 90mm stem that I am planning on using. I have a similar problem to ser3100 above, do I get the Large and run a longer stem or the XL and run a shorter stem.? I also tried a Norco LT2 the other day, size large, and that was too small. Do the Giants run a little big? Thanks

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
I'm 5'11" and ride a M/18" Reign 0 with a 65mm stem.

I typically setup my bikes for optimal handling while going downhill - reason for the shorter stem. I just need to weigh the front end a lot more when climbing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Acadian said:
I typically setup my bikes for optimal handling while going downhill - reason for the shorter stem. I just need to weigh the front end a lot more when climbing.
Word! If you want light duty freeride, I would not suggest the longer stems you mention. You already have an XC bike, so so what if you are a little cramped on your freeride bike? It just makes it more 'flickable' (unless you want to go on HIGH speed trails, then you may want a longer wheelbase). You will turn quicker with a shorter stem and you will have more leverage to fight the front wheel when the gnar wants to turn it for you (the real force is v.v.). Lee at leelikesbikes.com would definitely suggest a 50mm stem for such a rig and he gives great advice.

Let me also suggest that if both bikes are the same size, they will feel similar when you ride, and feeling comfortable on your bike is half the battle. You may even end up going to a shorter stem on your XC bike! (Praise the Lord!)

Everything is a compromise with bike set-up.

I'm 5 10 (like my shoes!), running a Medium Reign with a 60mm stem. I used to run a 50mm without any problem. I just had a much lighter 60 lying around.

·
talentless hack
120 Posts
6'3" on a Large 2008 Reign 2. The stock stem was 100mm IIRC, and it was okay with the narrow stock bars. I'm a fan of the "wider bars / shorter stem" philosophy though and I'm now running Gravity Light 800mm bars with a Gravity DH 60mm stem and I think it's pretty comfortable.

I'll probably end up swapping to a different stem of the same or similar length though. This DH stem is way overbuilt and super heavy (300g). I picked it up because I wanted to try a shorter stem and it was $20.

·
Registered
98 Posts
5'11" and the medium reign x2 with a short 50mm stem is fine for me. if your normal torso at 5'7" then a small maybe better than a medium.

·
No Stranger to danger....
4,596 Posts
im gonna be a bit dif here im 5'7 without shoes, i ride a medium 2012 18' reign which is perfect for me, i tried both a medium n small n the small felt very cramped, infact way to small.
Giant reigns have a small cockpit with a 44' wheel base for the medium, while its a good sized wheel base the bikes are a very small build.
i use a 50mm stem, its a sweet feel for me, theres no way id swap it for a small, OP make sure you ride both sizes n take as much time as you can to decide the right size, cheers mate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts