Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys! :confused:
I'm new to the forum and just returning to mountain biking after 16 years. I just purchased an 04 Dakar used and cheap, in pretty good shape, but will need some updates/upgrades to make it the bike it can be. That's where I need your help. With a budget of ~$600 and I don't mind used good condition parts, where would my money be best spent?

Any advice or comments to point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Ride Long, Ride Strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
To give you a good answer a couple of things need to be known.

1. What type of components are on the bike. Since you didn't say which Dakar model it is there is no way to know.

2. What type of trails are you planning on riding.

Very generally the best places to upgrade are going to be the fork and rear shock, brakes and then the wheels. If the deraillers shift fine there really is no need to get new ones. Do a lot of shopping around and you can get stuff cheap. Jenson is usually pretty good price wise and they are always willing to price match also. You can get some good stuff on ebay, but you have to be careful when buying used stuff because it may not work right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I agree, fork will make a big difference, but a good set of wheels with will make a huge difference as well. You will likely eat your budget either on the fork or the wheels. The individuals components, shifters, deraillers, brakes and such can be replaced upon failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Amen on the wheels giving you the best return on your investment. If you are patient and want to stick to a budget, I would definitely check out FleaBay and see what you can find there. FWIW, I have a set of 3-year old FSA's on my Dakar XC Comp and for $300 bucks they have been fantastic wheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. First, I was wrong about the model year, it's a completely stock '02. All of the components are the originals and are functioning and are the same as the ones listed here:

http://http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2002&Brand=Jamis&Model=Dakar&Type=bike

I plan to ride mostly XC trail type tracks likes the ones that have been built at the state parks in my area (SE Ohio).

My thoughts were much like yours, in that I thought that replacing the wheels with ones that are disc compatiable and getting disc brakes would be my initial $600 purchase. And then next season look at forks and shocks.

Are there any specific parts that you love on your bikes and wouldn't trade for any reason?

Thanks,
Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
You could convert to disc for about...half that. (Mavic Crossrides and Avid BB7's...)

...doesn't really look like it's worth spending a whole lot of money on upgrading, though...maybe it's just me, but $600 worth of parts on a $700 bike just doesn't seem right...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
OH! No! Kikoman said:
Are there any specific parts that you love on your bikes and wouldn't trade for any reason?

Thanks,
Eric
I built my own bike, so I love everything I have on it. But there really isn't anything that I wouldn't trade except maybe my cane creek thudbuster (I ride a hardtail). Everything else is really nice, but theres always something better. For instance I would love to have a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels, but they are $900 and are only 100 grams less than my current wheels, so they just aren't worth all that money to me. I really love my skareb super fork, but I would gladly trade it for a newer Manitou R7 MRD.

If it were my bike and I had $600 to spend this is what I would get.

Fork (this is the one I have and I love it and the price is right.)
http://www.bicyclebuys.com/bikeparts/ForksShocks/1665492PART

Brakes (buy them when they offer a 10% off coupon. They only have the 2007 rear brake, but you can use two rears because Manitou forks don't need a bracket in the front)
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12648&estore_ID=115

Wheels
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH402A05-Mavic+Crossride+Disc+Wheelset.aspx

And that pretty much uses up your budget. After that I would get better tires then a rear shock. I might then get lighter handlebars, seat post and seat but none of this is all that neccessary. Everything else (drivetrain, shifters etc.) I would use until it breaks and then replace it with better stuff.

Obvisouly your budget will go a lot further with used parts. I just don't like to buy used wheels or suspension parts, they take a lot of abuse and can be in bad shape.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ljsmith said:
I built my own bike, so I love everything I have on it. But there really isn't anything that I wouldn't trade except maybe my cane creek thudbuster (I ride a hardtail). Everything else is really nice, but theres always something better. For instance I would love to have a set of Mavic Crossmax SLR wheels, but they are $900 and are only 100 grams less than my current wheels, so they just aren't worth all that money to me. I really love my skareb super fork, but I would gladly trade it for a newer Manitou R7 MRD.

If it were my bike and I had $600 to spend this is what I would get.

Fork (this is the one I have and I love it and the price is right.)
http://www.bicyclebuys.com/bikeparts/ForksShocks/1665492PART

Brakes (buy them when they offer a 10% off coupon. They only have the 2007 rear brake, but you can use two rears because Manitou forks don't need a bracket in the front)
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12648&estore_ID=115

Wheels
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH402A05-Mavic+Crossride+Disc+Wheelset.aspx

And that pretty much uses up your budget. After that I would get better tires then a rear shock. I might then get lighter handlebars, seat post and seat but none of this is all that neccessary. Everything else (drivetrain, shifters etc.) I would use until it breaks and then replace it with better stuff.

Obvisouly your budget will go a lot further with used parts. I just don't like to buy used wheels or suspension parts, they take a lot of abuse and can be in bad shape.
Thanks for your advice ljsmith Are the '07 BB7's better than than '08 model?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
OH! No! Kikoman said:
Thanks for your advice ljsmith Are the '07 BB7's better than than '08 model?
The only difference between the 07 and the 08 is that the 08 is a different color and the adjuster knobs are shaped differently. The 07s are a little cheaper because they are on clearance, thats the only reason I reccomend those.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top