Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently hoping to upgrade my MTB to a 1x11 drivetrain. I currently have 2009 Trek 6300 with Shimano Deore FCM540 Chainrings 44-32-22 & SRAM PG950 9sp MTB Cassette.

I mainly use the highest gears on road and rarely use the middle chainring and never the 22T. I obviously want to retain my highest gear ratio of 4.00 so it seems the only way of doing that is with a 40T chainring and 10T cassette cog. I also need a few cogs in the cassette that will be used for hills.

I want to replace both shifters with one rear shifter and all chainrings for one chainring and cassette. please can anybody give any recommendations for this upgrade that reduces the extra parts needed to make it compatible with my current bike. thanks in advance and apologies if this is a question of a repetitive nature. cheers

·
g=9.764m/s2
808 Posts
Hmmm, this is a tall order... So you want to keep your 44t chainring then want the lower gearing that the 32t chainring provides... based on that, your cassette would be a 11-46 11spd, the 11spd derailleur compatible with 46t cassette of course, and one long a$$ 11spd chain to wrap around two salad plates. Since I don't know any better, I'd say give it a try and if it don't work out you have the 32t chainring to use like the rest of us, or maybe up that to a 34 or 36. Keep you existing cranks until you know where things end up. Anyway, sounds like you do more road than trail to want that tall gear. Also, to use an 11spd cassette having 10t or 9t cogs requires a hub with a SRAM XD driver. Good luck wit dat!

https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.