Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, couple questions:

I have to replace my crankset (due to being an idiot and semi-beginner). I have an 05 Iron Horse Warrior Expert with a FSA Gamma Drive crankset. I want something similar to this setup but maybe a bit better. I have never changed a crankset, but I know a little bit about them. I am going to have a mechanic install it, but I need to know what to buy first. I think I would like to stay with the Megaexo style BB that was used in the FSA, so I think I want to replace with something near the equivalent (barring suggestions about BB from you guys, since I am really kind of new to this). I have looked at the Race Face X-type crankset and I think I like that one and found it for a decent deal. My questions is if it will fit and what do I need to know (specifications wise) about my bike before I purchase.

I brought this up on the beginner forumn, but I thought I might get better info here. Thanks in advance guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,061 Posts
jdwarrior05 said:
I have to replace my crankset (due to being an idiot and semi-beginner). I have an 05 Iron Horse Warrior Expert with a FSA Gamma Drive crankset. I want something similar to this setup but maybe a bit better.
What happened to the crankset which necessitates its replacement? Broken crankarm? Bent chainring? What?...

Depending upon the answer, it may be less expensive to simply fix or replace the broken part instead of purchasing an entirely new crankset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,083 Posts
Ditto.....

What happened???....
KevinB said:
What happened to the crankset which necessitates its replacement? Broken crankarm? Bent chainring? What?...

Depending upon the answer, it may be less expensive to simply fix or replace the broken part instead of purchasing an entirely new crankset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should have specified. The non-drive side pedal threads are shot, due to cross threading. I don't even think it can be tapped for new threads. So basically, I have not leftside pedal right now, and I don't think I can find just an arm for sale. Let me know what you guys think.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
Most shops can replace the pedal threads with a helicoil. It is a common repair. Should cost you $10-20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man, I will look into that. Also, you think I could get a left crankarm from FSA or maybe they would warranty the crankarm, since the bike is only about a month old or so, maybe a couple months....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
48,238 Posts
jdwarrior05 said:
Thanks man, I will look into that. Also, you think I could get a left crankarm from FSA or maybe they would warranty the crankarm, since the bike is only about a month old or so, maybe a couple months....
It all starts at your LBS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
i have seen single crank arms for sale before online.

FWIW i just got a set of race face deus XC cranks with the x-type external BB. should fit your bike if you have mega-exo BB right now. super light, stiff, and $200.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top