Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.. ;)
I was at a swap sale and "Acquired" a K2 Sidewinder 6k series full suspension *Snicker* mountain bicycle for next to nothing. From what I have read so far people have been beating up on the components, like the rear shock and the ability of the fr/rr disc brake system.
First off how would I size out a new shock for the rear of a bike? Then two, how would I go about sizing out a new disc brake system?
One more thing I need to think about is that there are new specialized rims on the bike and I dont see a disc on the front rim. Will I be able to add on a disc to the front rim? Or do I need a new rim all together. If possible Id like to do some off road and regular street riding on this bike for the next year or two when I will pick up a new frame and a fork.

Thank you for your time and patience...

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Don't put a lot of money into that bike,just ride it. A shock could cost over 200$ ,brakes from 70$ and up. Rims have almost nothing to do with being being able to run disc's ,the hub is where the rotor mounts. You also need a mount on the fork for the caliper.To size a shock you need to measure the distance between the eyelets with the shock compressed and know the amount of shock travel. Do you know what year the bike is?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankx for answering back.
No idea about the year but if needed I can post some pics. The original setup of the bike had disc brakes. But the whole setup is missing from the front. Caliper, disc, and no cable. There is a place to mount the caliper thou.
The name on the bike is
K2 Sidewinder DS 6000 series. Im sure that wont help..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it does not. The rear has the disc brake intact.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
To go back to the front disc ,you would need a wheel ,rotor, caliper and cable. You could get a wheel for under 100$ and a Avid bb7 front brake for under 50$ . It looks like the lever is still there ,hard to tell from the pics. Do a search on ebay or amazon for parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the lever is there and the fork ha the place to screw the caliper onto the fork. Im guessing having a different front brake wouldn't matter? Or should I get front and back?

Any help on the rear frame shock would be helpful. I'm aware I need to get the correct size before I can do anything. But can someone recommend a brand and type. I hop on the bike now and its drops significantly. Im 6' 2" and 210lbs.

Thank you,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To go back to the front disc ,you would need a wheel ,rotor, caliper and cable. You could get a wheel for under 100$ and a Avid bb7 front brake for under 50$ . It looks like the lever is still there ,hard to tell from the pics. Do a search on ebay or amazon for parts.
Im looking to pickup the front new caliper? Do I want the 160 mm ones? Do you think it would be beneficial to buy the rear one also?

·
Registered
14,049 Posts
You need a wheel with a hub that will accept a bolt-on rotor.
160mm is most often used with that type of bike.
I would get an HS1 off ebay for $11 or so.
Forget the existing lever.
Get a complete Deore M615 or SLX front brake right side. It's assembled, prebled and can bolt right on to a fork with the correct mount, or may need an adapter.
The rear would be a bonus but it not as important.
Ribble has the SLX set, moto style, 122. Jenson will price match US style.
Ribble is out of stock on Deore at 96.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts