Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Cheesiest
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been lurking for a while, but I've finally decided to build a FR hardtail. I figured this would be the best place to get advice. I'm trying to pick out parts that are affordable, but will last a while. I would like this rig to be set up to do some lift serve, but mainly for trails and freeriding as I get better. It'll be my only bike, so I'll need to you it for XC rides with my wife.;)

The NEW stuff:
'05 Soul Cycles Titan (15")
Manitou Sherman Flick (20 mm thru)
FSA Pig DH Pro
Azonic DW Riser
Azonic Aggro Stem
Azonic Outlaw Wheels
WTB Rocket V Race Seat

Recycled parts:
Avid Mechanical Discs 185 mm F/160 mm B (may upgrade to hydros when I get the cash)
WTB Motoraptors 2.4 (until I figure out the best tire combo for the local trails)
Deore shifters and front derailleur
XT rear derailleur
Deore cranks 36/22 (these will be the first thing to be replaced when I get some more cash)

I'm thinking about a chain guide, but I think I could do without it for now.

What do y'all think?

·
Renegade of Krunk
603 Posts
Looks really good to me, I would just pick up some Hydraulic brakes sometime down the road, so much nicer then mech's. And try getting into Soul cycles SCUD sponsorship, you can pick up probablly everything on your build list for less money :cool:

I love the Titan frame, if my DK frame needs to be changed it will definitely be replaced by a Titan.

·
brooklyn bike rider
508 Posts
sounds great.

one thing i'd advise is, unless you've already held those bars in your hands,
wait until it's rolling and almost set up to decide on stem and bar.
because those parts will play a big role in determining how the bike feels/rides.

·
Cheesiest
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice.

unless you've already held those bars in your hands,
wait until it's rolling and almost set up to decide on stem and bar
I'm in the SCUD program:cool:, and I'd prefer to not make too many separate orders. I'm using some Titec Hellbents on a ghetto Ritchey stem, right now. These bars feel too flat and the vibrations beat up my wrists on really rocky downhills. I thought the DW risers would work well, because of their upsweep and supposed ability to reduce vibration. :cool:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd go with the Azonic World Force riser. It's lighter (265g), cheaper (29$ on pricepoint) and still plenty strong. It's got a 5 year warrentee so even if you can break it they've got you covered.

Also the Sherman is a 1.5" fork right? If I'm right then you can't run the FSA Pig DH Pro headset. You'll need the Big Fat Pig DH 1.5 or (1.5R if you wake up and get a Marzocchi).

·
DOH!
474 Posts
I'd recommend getting a chain guide. Pick your poison; most any quality guide made to work with stnd. chainstay bikes will suit. Things can get really rough on a HT, and I find a chainguide helps mechanically, as well as mentally ("...yes, my chain will be where it's supposed to when I go to pedal kick off this drop after a long, rough DH...."). I run a Blackspire slalom guide on my Planet-X HT. Sound like a great build you've got going! Have fun....

·
Registered
764 Posts
dandurston said:
I'd go with the Azonic World Force riser. It's lighter (265g), cheaper (29$ on pricepoint) and still plenty strong. It's got a 5 year warrentee so even if you can break it they've got you covered.

Also the Sherman is a 1.5" fork right? If I'm right then you can't run the FSA Pig DH Pro headset. You'll need the Big Fat Pig DH 1.5 or (1.5R if you wake up and get a Marzocchi).
The Breakout is 1.5, but he's not after that one.

Build looks good to me. Agreed on the stem/bar suggestion above, wait 'till the end. They make a huge difference in the way the ride feels.

·
Cheesiest
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice. I ordered a 15.5" titan with all the parts listed with the exception of the stem. I'm hoping the bar works out, but I'm gonna wait on the stem. I also decided to go with an e.13 DRS. I was on the fence about the Flick. The Firefly would look more pimp, but the extra $100 was too much right now.

I'll get some picks once I get 'er built up.

Now, to live up to the bikes potential. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.