Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding La Ruta this november and have never done anything remotely close to the mileage I'll be doing then. Raced one days similar like that but never three days in a row. Most notably I've never ridden in 100F 100% humidity weather with pouring rain:)

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to eat/drink for perhaps the week before the event, what to eat/drink during the actual riding and also for breakfast and dinner on those days. Any medications or vitamin type supplements that could be recommended and why? apparently they will give us fresh fruit, tuna sandwiches, and pb&j during the races but everything else is buy at the hotel or bring your own.

·
Registered
294 Posts
All i can say is I hop e that you've been training hard for a long time. Word is La Ruta is brutal.

good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Spook,
I am also signed up for 'Ruta this Nov and have a few friends that have done it. PM me with your email address and Ill mail you a write up that one of them did.

As for food, nothing too special before. I would just eat lots of clean, complex carbs and protein in the days leading up to the event. If you are the dieter type, please, give it up 2 weeks before - the extra few pounds you lose will NOT be worth it at this point. When you are there, the dinners that they feed you are mostly rice and beans. Some people prefer meat and go out to local restaurants. BAD IDEA. At least a few of these people ended up taking more than a few trips to the woods during the race and DNFing. Save the chicken and steak dinners for AFTER the race. During the race, I would suggest bringing your own food - something that you have tried out on one of the many LONG training rides that you will be doing. I have been making due with hammergel and clif bars for the 2 endurance races that I did this past month. You might try Perpetuem (sp?) from the folks at hammergel - it contains carbs and protein without the NASTY soy protein taste of their other endurance drink (can't think of the name) and is designed to be "food" for long rides. For me, salt pills are gonna be a must. I got a bottle of 1 gram salt pills really cheap from my pharmacy. I usually cut them in half and take one an hour if its hot out cuz I cramp up something awful. I also use this stuff called "ElectroMix" from the EmergenC company that is pretty cheap and comes in little packets that you can carry w/ you and dump in your CBack, which I fill w/ Gatorade, which also contains salt. After each ride, you are gonna want to down a recovery drink with Whey Protein and maltodextrin/glucose ASAP. I take in 50gr of carbs and 25gr of pro and I weigh ~140. Then you are gonna want to consume lots of food every 2-3 hours afterward. Rice and beans combine to make a very complete protein + contain lots of complex carbs, so this is actually a perfect meal.That's all I can think of right now. Hope this helps.

·
Something goes here...
2,067 Posts
I've competed in 4 24 Hr races and what I have found works best for me is PB&J sandwiches and V8 (the small 8 once cans) b/w each lap. Plus I take Vitamin C and Vitamin E pills every 4 hours. The V C you know of but the V E you may not. V E is what helps muscle rebuild itself. Taking 400 IU's every 4 hours during a race speeds up this process and you won't be as sore. At least I haven't been.

The first couple of races I tried lots of different stuff but the last race I did the above and really came out ahead. I could have done a few more laps. You don't want to take in more than 800 IU's of V E anytime other than when racing. I take 4-800 a day during training. If I had a light training day, I take 400. If I had a hard day, I take 800.

Hope this helps in some sort of way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts