Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm a newb at this sport, but I'm looking to check out a year old Trek 4300. The owner says it has less than 50 miles on it, so I have to assume it's going to be in nearly new condition. What would you suggest would be things to check out? I figured I'd check to make sure the gears shift smoothly, but what else would you suggest?

Thanks,
Chris

·
I'm Riding It
652 Posts
Give the wheels a spin to see if they spin true. Check for any cracks/scrapes/scratches, and ask about them if you see any.
Other than that, just take it for a quick spin, go through the gears, try braking, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. Still waiting to find out the frame size. How well do Trek's hold value? What would be a reasonable price if everything checks out? I can get a new one at my LBS for $420 and he is asking $350/obo.

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
Most decent brand names should hold value well, as long as the bike's properly maintained and hasn't been trashed in an accident. It's amazing how much difference simply cleaning a bike up can make to its value. I would bargain him down a bit more because like cars, a bike loses most value as soon as it's 'pre-owned'. I would've thought $300 would be fair, maybe less as it's a year-old model.

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,450 Posts
Most important thing to do is check the frame for cracks or deep gouges or dents. It may have only done 50 miles but you never know. So make sure the bike is clean so you can see defects like that - cracked or chipped paint will draw your eye.

Forks - look for obvious leaks and gouges on the stanchions (uppers) that suggest the bike has been crashed hard or mistreated.

Wheels - make sure all spokes are present and accounted for, and that the wheels are pretty straight - minor buckles can be trued out but big ones maybe not.

Check the drivetrain - is the chain coated in rust to suggest it's been put away caked in mud? Does the wear on the drivetrain match the miles the owner has said it's done? After 50 miles there should be no appreciable wear anywhere.

Take it for a test ride and make sure stuff works - gears and brakes may need adjusting but at least make sure they work.

Make sure it's the right size for you - it's no bargain if it's not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.