Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one offer any advice on changing suspension bearings?

I've got an 03 Jamis XLT 2.0 and plan on replacing all the suspension linkage bearings and associated hardware because of wear.

Any special tools?

How not to damage the frame.

Any tricks of the trade?.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
GCM said:
Can any one offer any advice on changing suspension bearings?

I've got an 03 Jamis XLT 2.0 and plan on replacing all the suspension linkage bearings and associated hardware because of wear.

Any special tools?

How not to damage the frame.

Any tricks of the trade?.
Not much. Just get a couple of dies. One more less the same size of the outer race of the bearing and one bigger than that. Some more washers and a bolt and drive the thing out. Slowly and carefully for the bearing not to go sideways.

If you have the chance, get some bearings from reputated brands like SKF, Timken (Torrignton-Fafnir), NTN or similar... must be contact seals on both sides so dirt can't get in. The life span will improve but you'll not notice any other improvement.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure I'm getting this - my understanding of a die is it's a tool for threading the OD of a screw or bolt (like a tap is the tool for threading the ID of a nut). How does this help me get the bearing out?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
GCM said:
Not sure I'm getting this - my understanding of a die is it's a tool for threading the OD of a screw or bolt (like a tap is the tool for threading the ID of a nut). How does this help me get the bearing out?
My bad.... sorry spanish native speaker here... you need some socket (the ones that replace spanners for fastening hex head bolts).

I'm sorry.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
A good vise will help also, just be careful not to clamp on the bearing/suspension plate too hard. I used two blocks of wood on either side of my suspension plante, and then pushed the bearing into the plate by screwing the vise on the wood. If you try to hammer the bearings into place they get misaligned very easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.