Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi MTBR,
This is my first post on this site, but I often refer to these forums for tips/advice.
I am currently riding a hardtail with a 2x9 setup and a bash guard in leu of a third chainring. I want to change to a 1x9 and ditch the front derailleur. I would like to do this without spending too much (under 100$). Looking for any product recommendations (I am considering an MRP 1x chain guide). Also wondering if it is possible to keep my bash guard with a chain guide, or if I will have to ditch that too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Hi MTBR,
This is my first post on this site, but I often refer to these forums for tips/advice.
I am currently riding a hardtail with a 2x9 setup and a bash guard in leu of a third chainring. I want to change to a 1x9 and ditch the front derailleur. I would like to do this without spending too much (under 100$). Looking for any product recommendations (I am considering an MRP 1x chain guide). Also wondering if it is possible to keep my bash guard with a chain guide, or if I will have to ditch that too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What bike, crank set and derailleur you are running would get you a little further with suggestions.

Since you don't have a clutch type derailleur, if you can get one of the narrow/wide drop stop rings from Race Face (~$45) and a C-Guide dangler (~same $) on your setup you should be able to drop the granny ring and keep your current bash ring without getting the MRP top guide. Shorten up your chain by wrapping it around big cassette cog and front ring (w/out running it thru the rr derailleur) plus 2 links and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I'd try a NW chain ring and keep the bash. It might be all you need. If that doesn't do the trick, you can add a bashwich if you have room or a guide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What bike, crank set and derailleur you are running would get you a little further with suggestions.

Since you don't have a clutch type derailleur, if you can get one of the narrow/wide drop stop rings from Race Face (~$45) and a C-Guide dangler (~same $) on your setup you should be able to drop the granny ring and keep your current bash ring without getting the MRP top guide. Shorten up your chain by wrapping it around big cassette cog and front ring (w/out running it thru the rr derailleur) plus 2 links and you should be good to go.
I am riding a 2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0. Crankset is a Shimano Alivio 22/32t (44t ring has been replaced by Salsa bashguard), the front derailleur is a Shimano Alivio, 34.9 mm, rear derailleur is a Shimano Deore SGS, top-normal 9-speed.

I checked out the chain dangler. Does that essentially serve the same function as a chain guide?

Thanks JMac

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The raceface NW ring seems like a pretty good way to go. The reviews say you can run it without any sort of guide, even on a hardtail. Looks like it would work with my bashguard as well. Definitely considering this option.

Thanks Slash

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
I checked out the chain dangler. Does that essentially serve the same function as a chain guide?
It helps more as a chain tensioner when not having a clutch type derailleur. If you Google C-Guide they have a video of how it works. But if you get a nw chain ring chances are you won't need one as I said.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
1x9 with the Raceface 30T is what I got on my Pivot. I ordered a Bionicon C-Guide earlier this week...should be in soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts