Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Advice on cassette sizing

665 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bike Whisperer 
#1 ·
I just got my new bike and noticed i was having some trouble climbing some of the steeper hills on my local trails. At first i thought it was because I was out of shape since I haven't ridden in almost a year, but I just noticed today that it came through with a 11-28 Ultegra cassette. I am not saying that I am not out of shape, but my bet is that the 28 gear is not helping matters. I am used to an 11-30 8 speed from my old bike.

I am looking to pick up an 11-32 or and 11-34 but not sure which. I am 6'-0", ~195 lbs and am riding the bike in my sig(26"). I ride in Central Massachusetts and hit a couple of pretty step hills each ride, usually preceded by another less steep hill that sucks up my momentum.

Any advice would be appreciated. I think the 11-32 would be ok, but if I could take advantage of an 11-34(meaning i am not just spinning like mad trying to get up a hill) then I would like too.

#2 ·
Aha...the Bikes Direct put a road cassette on to lower the weight trick.

I'd run a 11-36 myself on 10 speed, more range in the middle ring and low enough to climb walls.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.