Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my new bike and noticed i was having some trouble climbing some of the steeper hills on my local trails. At first i thought it was because I was out of shape since I haven't ridden in almost a year, but I just noticed today that it came through with a 11-28 Ultegra cassette. I am not saying that I am not out of shape, but my bet is that the 28 gear is not helping matters. I am used to an 11-30 8 speed from my old bike.

I am looking to pick up an 11-32 or and 11-34 but not sure which. I am 6'-0", ~195 lbs and am riding the bike in my sig(26"). I ride in Central Massachusetts and hit a couple of pretty step hills each ride, usually preceded by another less steep hill that sucks up my momentum.

Any advice would be appreciated. I think the 11-32 would be ok, but if I could take advantage of an 11-34(meaning i am not just spinning like mad trying to get up a hill) then I would like too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aha...the Bikes Direct put a road cassette on to lower the weight trick.

I'd run a 11-36 myself on 10 speed, more range in the middle ring and low enough to climb walls.
2013, So you have 10 gears in the back..??

You can get a 11-36 and use the second cog from the bottom if the 36 is spinning you to much..
Yup it's a 10 speed. I was gunna just got with an xt m771 since I'm not to worried about the weight.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Get the 11-36
I live in massachusetts and I race the root66 race series.
The reces are in MA, RI, NH, CT and VT. I have a 11-32 and I miss the 11-36 that I had on my previous bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
GONE
25,532 Posts
Yup it's a 10 speed. I was gunna just got with an xt m771 since I'm not to worried about the weight.

Thanks for the help!
What kind of bike is it that came with an 11-28 cassette???

You'll appreciate an 11-36. You may almost never use the 36 tooth cog (except for creeping up ultra steep grind (16%-20+%) sections) but it's nice to have it there just in case. We have some that stupid steep stuff out here in So Cal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of bike is it that came with an 11-28 cassette???

You'll appreciate an 11-36. You may almost never use the 36 tooth cog (except for creeping up ultra steep grind (16%-20+%) sections) but it's nice to have it there just in case. We have some that stupid steep stuff out here in So Cal.
It's a Motobecane Fantom Team DS. There was a fire sale on the leftover 2013's. I was not even planning on buying a new bike since I have other priorities at the moment, but I saw the price and pulled the trigger. My only complaints with it so far are the cassette choice and the XC tires they put on it. I understand it is meant to be an XC bike with a priority on weight, but the tires were useless as soon as I got off hard-packed.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
It's a Motobecane Fantom Team DS. There was a fire sale on the leftover 2013's. I was not even planning on buying a new bike since I have other priorities at the moment, but I saw the price and pulled the trigger. My only complaints with it so far are the cassette choice and the XC tires they put on it. I understand it is meant to be an XC bike with a priority on weight, but the tires were useless as soon as I got off hard-packed.
Bike Direct (owners of Motobecane) will often put a road cassette and useless uber-light tires on their bikes to lower the weight on bikes they're trying to sell as top end XC machines. The overall bike is good quality (Just old technology like faux bar links and gusseted frames instead of hydroformed) and made by Kinesis which is a top Taiwan based manufacturer.

I've owned a couple bikes from them and I've got friends that own bikes from them. My overall impression of the bikes is positive with the exception of the above noted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts