Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
im new to this forum and Hobby, i occasionally ride with my brother in-law on his extra bike,
i have decided to buy myself a new mountain bike, i didn't know that there were so many types of mountain bikes in the Market.

im 31 years old, and 230 Pounds 5.8" ft. a father of 3 angels, im planning on spending a max of 2500 USD on a new bike

my intention is to workout (loose weight) and have a much fun a possible, and live longer with my family.

i live on the beach i intend to drive on the street and offroad (gravel, sand, beach) and maybe some hills when my skills and stamina improve.

i need advice on what kind of bike i should buy
i noticed that there are so many options:
Hardtail, cross country, trail, all-mountain, downhill, full suspension, and so on..

i dont know whats the right one, and every bike shop i walk into just wants to sell what ever product they have..

i would really appreciate your guidance and advice on what brand and type, i would be even more thankful if you could recommend specific model

this is a bike that i intend to keep for at least 10 years since its a big investment i want to make the right choice with your help and support

i look forward to hear from you all

Regards,

Ammar

·
Registered
401 Posts
i live on the beach i intend to drive on the street and offroad (gravel, sand, beach) and maybe some hills when my skills and stamina improve.
Saying "gravel, sand, beach" and "father of 3" makes it sound like you're not really interested in riding hardcore trails, but that you'd still like something with wide enough tires to handle some sand and gravel adventures but that you can also use for just having fun around town.

At your budget I'd recommend a Salsa Fargo 2. []2014 Fargo 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles It may not _look_ like what you expect from a mountain bike, but:

* It's comfortable for all-day cruising, but when you get down in the bars, you're in a great mountain biking position.
* Sure, it's got a rigid fork, but the fork is carbon and the seatpost can help a good deal. (full disclosure: I don't even use the suspension seatpost.)
* It'll tow kids trailers like a champ
* The lack of suspension and use of mechanical (vs. hydraulic) brakes make it really low maintenance.
* Again, the lack of suspension and use of mechanical (vs. hydraulic) brakes mean Salsa can put your money towards good rims, hubs, the carbon fork, etc.

Heck, even the Salsa 3 would probably do, and it'd save a chunk of change.

Full disclosure:

I own a full-suspension 29r but bought an older Salsa Fargo 2 for bikepacking and fun with the family. I loved it so much I bought a titanium within six months. It's basically the grown up version of that super-fun take-anywhere low-maintenance bike we all loved as a kid.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
What do you like/dis about the bike you borrow? Could you borrow rent something else? Have you test rode any of the bikes from the shops? Brands and models don't mean much ,within prices ranges, they are very much alike. 2500$ will get you a nice hardtail ,way more capable bike that what you intend to use it for.Don't forget to think about other things that you will need ,helmet ,gloves,riding clothes ,tools and a way to get the bike a round.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
With your budget you can find a very nice bike.

Lets start with what bike you've been borrowing and what you do and don't like about the bike. Each type of bike you listed has it's advantages and disadvantages. It can seem overwhelming at first, but we can help guide you.

Do you know if there are a lot of trails in your area? If so, are they smooth or have rocks and roots? As your fitness improves, you will want to go and explore other trails and areas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
im 31 years old, and 230 Pounds 5.8" ft. a father of 3 angels, im planning on spending a max of 2500 USD on a new bike

my intention is to workout (loose weight) and have a much fun a possible, and live longer with my family.

For now, I'd stay away from FS (Full Suspension). For the type of riding you are doing you can get a much better bike if you stay in the hardtail range. Entry level FS bikes start around $2000 and they get there by not having the nicest components. They are still functional, but for the same 2k you can get a much better fork, and higher end derailleurs.

You don't sound like you'd be doing any type of riding anytime soon that needs FS, and it may even be a bit of a hindrance for what you are doing.

You could also see if any bike stores in town do rentals. Might be worth $2-300 out of your purchase budget to ride and see what feels good.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you all your kind responses,

yes i do not intend to be a hardcore bikers but i would mind the occasional adventures,
the bike i borrowed was a giant foldable bike which was tiny and caused some back discomfort which i think was the size,
and when i meant off roading, i meant gravel and sand and roots, but most of my riding will be a combination of both road and offroad, since the road ends in my area after about 9km and we get into offroad area,

its seems that most recommendations are for a hardtail which makes sense.

and one of my main reasons for purchasing a bike is i prefer owning the borrowing.

im currently in germany so almost all bike brands are available here to buy so i was thinking of buying one here and shipping it home, unless i find an online seller that ships to oman.

i found the prices here in Europe are much cheaper then my country since most stores have sales and discounts on some of their product lines.

what guys think of stevens bikes ? they seem to be popular in germany but i haven't found much info about them online.

i plan to look for a bike shop to rent from after the easter holiday and test out what feels best.

from my reading i noticed some information that i did not understand,
what does the sizes mean 29, 27.5 ?
which would be better for me judging by what i have explained about my riding intention

thanks again

Ammar

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
29" ,27.5" and 26" are wheel sizes,27.5 is also known as 650b. Most of the bikes you will look at will be either 29 or 27.5 ,you have to decide witch one is for you.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Sand is tough. If you're planning to ride on the beach or in sand very much, you might want to look at fat bikes.

pugsley-blu-14_sv_930x390.jpg

They're slower in other circumstances than a narrower-tired MTB or a road bike, but that only matters if you're riding with other people.

The one in the picture is a Surly Pugsley. A lot of other companies are getting into it now, though.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Being new to biking and a little overwhelmed by the choices, I wondered what those bikes were about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts