Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having 'accidentally' got a pair of 36h Hope Pro II hubs on eBay instead of 32h... well you know how these things happen...! I could really use some advice on building them up.

I'm about 150lbs on the bike, like rocky technical riding, cross-country, all-terrain, some small drops, nothing over 4' yet but I'm working on it. This is a replacement wheelset for my Mavic XM819 disks/Formula/Shimano hubs/UST Schwalbe Fat Alberts which I will move on to another bike I'm building, so it's got to be better. I'll be trying a Duc32 at the front, and there's 5" travel at the rear, Magura Marta Disc brakes.

Since the XM819s only come in 32h, that suggests DT Swiss EX5.1D, which has the benefit of being wider. But I'll need to seal them - their own rim kit, Stan's or A.N.Other? Can I get rim sealing tape separately?

Spokes... DT Swiss supercomps?
Nipples... DT Swiss Alu 1.8/12mm???

Lacing pattern... Shiggy, Ventanarama, Charles??? 4x for 36h, right? Would you mix it with 3x?

There doesn't seem to be much of a weight penalty for 36h vs 32h, and they're stronger, so no downside other than limited choice of rims. But if that's wrong I could go back to 32h hubs?

What do you think? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not too sure i can be of great hope, other than to re-assureyou that you haven't made a mistake by getting the 36h hope pro2's. I went for them over the 32h hubs, because of the strength increase they offer with the extra spokes in place.

As for rims, spokes etc...what you need to remember is that normally you will sacrifice weight for strength. I put together my new wheel set with the same hubs as you, with Sun singletrack rims, DT Swiss Championship (double butted) spokes and brass nipples! they are a lot more solid than my rims that cam with my bike originally.

Weight wise they weigh a bit more, but for the reasurance they are less likely to buckle on a drop or ina technical decent its well worth the sacrifice.

I am sure none of this is much help, but I thought i would try.

·
whatever she says gueuze.
370 Posts
Rims

I had a set of 36H King/hadley hubs. I bought them with heavy D321s so I switched them out and built them with 823's. Nice burly freeride wheels and I had them built with smaller spokes to save weight (I'm also 150lbs). Great rims but a tad pricey.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lacing pattern?

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get on with building them!

Does anyone have an opinion on the lacing pattern? Should be 4x for 36h, right? Or can I mix it with 3x? Shiggy???

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Crow's foot... has anyone tried it out and got comments? It's meant to be stronger, right? Front and rear, or rear only?

Spokes... DT Swiss Competition is an easy choice but what would be strong enough, lighter and not too expensive? Super Comps? Revolutions? - they seem more likely to fail. Any other good choices?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
just built a rearwheel 36holes. saint rear hub and mavix ex823 competition spokes and brass nipples.
standard 3x pattern. works perfect, looks tight.
everything else would be just pimpin

greetings znarf

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so this is getting interesting... :) Albacore's for crow's foot, Turbodog's for 3x and Znarf's for 2x all heads in!

So guys n gals, why would I use 2x or 3x rather than crow's foot? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.