Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the bug to buy a mountain bike for the Mountains of Ft. lauderdale .Fl. ( there arent any- just parks with trails of varying difficulty.)
I need to have the advice bypass the bias I'm hearing from the bike shops.( Not sure if its sales ploy, or just incentives for them to sell a brand over another.
So- I want to spend UNDER $1000, although I initially wanted to spend under 800.00 dollars. My 1st choice based upon appearance and preliminary opinion of mine is the cannondale Trail 6 in Flat black and gray accents. My 2nd choice are the Specialized hardrock, or the higher priced rockhopper.
Besides the feel of the bike which will undoubtedly feel similarly great on all 3- ( small frame- I'm 5 ft 9.) I want to avoid buying a bike with wrong priorities. I scoured the web for answers..Now I'm undecided! Cannondale has lower quality equip. on its trail 6,( 29er)
w/o lockout on fork, specialized has less travel on hardrock.
Please give me good advice -I do plan on some upgrades.. Thank you!!

UPDATE: Bought a Specialized Rockhopper 2014 29er.. black on black.. 3 final payments to complete purchase....

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Lockout is the least used fork capability for me on a ht fork.
The fork is the most performance impacting part of a bike when you ride difficult/fun trails.
The Suntour fork on those bikes is low level spec. with a $60 value. It weighs 6.2lbs.
It was designed to max out on bike paths only. Nick at Suntour has a $200 upgrade for riders who buy that fork to a Raidon air fork with sealed damping cartridge. REI has a Novara Ponderosa with a Raidon oem. 20% sales they run occasionally would make it 800.
Want something upgradeable-- Trek Superfly 5. 15% off during an April sale. +3% more for cash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lockout is the least used fork capability for me on a ht fork.
The fork is the most performance impacting part of a bike when you ride difficult/fun trails.
The Suntour fork on those bikes is low level spec. with a $60 value. It weighs 6.2lbs.
It was designed to max out on bike paths only. Nick at Suntour has a $200 upgrade for riders who buy that fork to a Raidon air fork with sealed damping cartridge. REI has a Novara Ponderosa with a Raidon oem. 20% sales they run occasionally would make it 800.
Want something upgradeable-- Trek Superfly 5. 15% off during an April sale. +3% more for cash.
- Thanks so much for your insight- So in essence- Choose the Better Frame equipped bike( Cannondale Trail6 ) ( and upgrade other items gradually- forks, brakes, wheels, etc) Since the Specialized hard rock is heavier- although 3 out of 4 shops are recommending/pushing the hardrockdisc 29 ... Gives me help I needed.. Then theres the question of brand. Is Cannondale really better? or are the 3 opinions correct in which I should buy. ( the 2008 buyout of Cannondale concerned me as to integrity of cannondale quality. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Both C'dale and Spec are ok for quality, the geo is dated compared to Trek's(SF is new this year) or Scott for the Scale line. Finding a tapered head tube helps with upgrading to a fork you can keep for a future build.
If a demo day comes to your local trails, you will ride high end models and learn a lot about bikes and components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was looking at the Scott aspect 940- but wasnt happy with the colors avail.. Also, I looked at the Giant, havent seen the Treks yet. Given my parameters- ( price under 900.00 and use) which would you be MORE inclined to go for?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I was looking at the Scott aspect 940- but wasnt happy with the colors avail.. Also, I looked at the Giant, havent seen the Treks yet. Given my parameters- ( price under 900.00 and use) which would you be MORE inclined to go for?
I would personally go with the Giant, but that's because I test rode it and it fits perfect for me. Can your LBS help you out with a test ride?

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
Since you have 2 or 3 months time frame - go ride all of the bikes you're looking at. The single most important thing about buying a new bike is going to be how it fits you and how it feels. Don't get caught up in preconceptions about any of the bikes you see - if it's in your price range, ride it.

Beyond that, yes, component wise the frame and the fork are the most expensive parts on the bike, and you want to either get the best frame and fork you can for the money, or not worry about the fork and do the upgrade thing through suntour. Take into consideration the wheels on the bikes - probably nothing in that price range will come with tubeless ready wheels - but check just to make sure.

Remember, in your price range, you're looking at a good entry level hard tail, not a race machine. Decide before you buy if you will keep this bike for a long time, or if you will ride it til you feel like you've out grown it's limitations and upgrade to something nicer. If you want to keep it, and just upgrade parts and components, DO develop a little bit of bias towards the companies that have lifetime frame warranties - Trek, Giant for certain, I don't think any of the other major players offer lifetime frame warranties, but ask to make sure.

·
Yeet so hard
680 Posts
I wouldnt worry all that much about color... If you are doing it right, it should turn brown after your first ride :) geo and components are far more important

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
In that price range of under $1k, a lot of your coin goes for the name n the bike. And that doesn't add much at entry level.
The REI bike at 800 or an Airborne Guardian at 675 or Seeker at 1004 will get you to the skill level of a better bike faster.
Ask each shop you visit when and where their demo days are. Zero cost for first hand knowledge.

Novara Ponderosa 29er Bike - 2014 at REI.com
New aluminum frame this year- lighter.

Airborne Bicycles. Guardian 2.0
Airborne Bicycles. Seeker

Paying this much. Consider saving for a little more time and getting the better geo of the Superfly 5, 1263 with discounts.
Trek Bicycle Superfly 5

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Fortunately, in this area (I live by you, so Markham, amelia, Oleta, and quiet waters are my main ride spots) Trek, Scott, and giant to demos every couple weeks. My suggestion is call the bike shops and find out when demos are happening, I even saw sram doing a demo at Markham 2 weeks ago and they had some niners, Giants, etc. In the amount of time you have I don't think it's unrealistic to be able to demo Scott, trek, giant, etc. At the parks and make the decision from personal preference. PM me if you have any questions, I have a buddy that manages a good lbs in sunrise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
bike purchased- just got it home 1 week ago.

. PM me if you have any questions, I have a buddy that manages a good lbs in sunrise.
hello again- now that i finally got the rockhopper 29, and equipped with good lights..i'd like to go to these parks and ride with a group.
pm me. if there is a daytime group ride. not ready for nighttime just yet..got to get myself more acclimated. thanks!
my name is Scott. Does your buddy work at Bike America?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts