Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my tora 302 started leaking oil in the bottom and little at the top,on the right leg(yeah i know, rebound damper).so i will need a new fork, im set on tora(maybe recon if you can persuade me) but im in dilemma which one? solo air or u-turn.im 210lbs and i need reliability,less maintenance as possible and to be able to cope with my weight. and should i try to find 2010 forks(are there any differences from last year)? and my front hub(fireeye excelerant 520) has option to be converted to thru axle 20mm..

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
enio said:
Well my tora 302 started leaking oil in the bottom and little at the top,on the right leg(yeah i know, rebound damper).so i will need a new fork, im set on tora(maybe recon if you can persuade me) but im in dilemma which one? solo air or u-turn.im 210lbs and i need reliability,less maintenance as possible and to be able to cope with my weight. and should i try to find 2010 forks(are there any differences from last year)? and my front hub(fireeye excelerant 520) has option to be converted to thru axle 20mm..
Cheaper just to upgrade the 302 Turn Key damper with a new Motion Control damper...runs about $50

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Is having it warrantied a possibility? Take it to a local shop. Then do as mtnbiker72 says and just upgrade from the turnkey lockout damper to the motion control damper.

That sounds like a common issue that the Tora 302's had. I'm sure SRAM will take care of it.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
Well my tora 302 started leaking oil in the bottom and little at the top,on the right leg(yeah i know, rebound damper).so i will need a new fork,
Huhhh?? New fork????

Your talking about a crush washer and an oring replacement. I just stopped by the lbs today b/c my Lyrik was leaking out of the bottom coil side bolt. They simply gave me a new black plastic crush washer for free. Oring kits can be ordered. Fix it...or buy a new fork if that's really where this is going.

BTW RS provides a 2 year warranty on forks.

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
no need to buy a new fork, if you can change the oil on a car you can rebuild a tora (or most rs forks for that matter) if you are not a do-it-yourselfer then your lbs will have it working good as new for not much cash. also, mtnbiker72's suggestion to upgrade the damper is a wise one, i wished i had done it when i rebuilt my tora.

·
Fixin' shocks Day & Night
270 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
Huhhh?? New fork????

Your talking about a crush washer and an oring replacement. I just stopped by the lbs today b/c my Lyrik was leaking out of the bottom coil side bolt. They simply gave me a new black plastic crush washer for free. Oring kits can be ordered. Fix it...or buy a new fork if that's really where this is going.

BTW RS provides a 2 year warranty on forks.
Yep this is 100% correct, Just fix what you have. It's easy and if you are a do it yourselfer then even better. Get some good motorcycle fork oil. 5wt and a new seal kit and wiper kit, if the seals where the fork slides are leaking. The rest is pretty easy and if you go to SRAM's website they have tutorial video's.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
greengreer said:
mtnbiker72's suggestion to upgrade the damper is a wise one, i wished i had done it when i rebuilt my tora.
what do you mean you wished you've done it? its a screw open the top and screw in the new part job. you don't even have to change the oil....

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
vk45de said:
what do you mean you wished you've done it? its a screw open the top and screw in the new part job. you don't even have to change the oil....
Yes but the Tora now resides on my jump/pump bike and doesn't need a MoCo damper, so I doubt it will get changed anytime. I was simply trying to state to the OP that it is a simple and worthwhile upgrade

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think i read somewhere that i need to replace whole rebound damper coz of factory error on 08 forks. dunno how an o ring and new washer will fix it so it doesn't brake again.pardon my ignorance,im a noob in fork internals stuff. i thought if i had to shell out some reasonable cash to properly fix my fork, i would rather buy a new, better fork.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
enio said:
i think i read somewhere that i need to replace whole rebound damper coz of factory error on 08 forks. dunno how an o ring and new washer will fix it so it doesn't brake again.pardon my ignorance,im a noob in fork internals stuff. i thought if i had to shell out some reasonable cash to properly fix my fork, i would rather buy a new, better fork.
The amount of oil spilled can be a sign of what the issue is. A nice puddle of oil? Would indicate the rebound damper issue that the 08 range Toras had. This is a warranty issue and SRAM will warranty it. Take it to your local bike shop - doesn't matter if you didn't buy the fork there.

The RS forks are simple to work on. The service manuals will walk you through anything you need to do to your fork. http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/tech_manuals.php

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.