Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've read a fair amount of the SB100 thread but need some advice. I'm really close to taking plunge in buying an SB100 frame to build up to complement my Ibis Ripmo (which I don't love yet but will plan to keep for the time being). My favorite all-time bike was my Ripley v2 that I sold a couple of years ago. The SB100 numbers are pretty close. I also have ridden an SB4.5 and liked it a lot.

I am NOT a racer but want a lighter, shorter wheelbase, everyday "trail" bike. Thinking of maybe doing a couple of endurance events next summer. The Ripmo is almost too much bike for my everyday riding. It's a very good all-around bike but it is slower getting up the hill and definitely not as agile - probably due to longer wheelbase/slacker HT. It's faster downhill but I'm close to 50 years old and am more concerned about going up.

I will be moving my Shimano XTR 12 speed drivetrain w/ brakes over from my Ripmo (Ripmo will get 11 speed drivetrain/brakes that I have sitting around). I will also be moving over an I9 wheelset that has 27mm ID rims w/ hubs that have microspline.

Decisions:

-color: I love the turquoise blue and my Ripmo is black so thinking of getting some color for once.

-fork: Fox SC 34 120mm OR Fox 34 130mm? Really need help here on model and size.

-dropper seatpost: was originally thinking of Bike Yoke 80mm dropper to save weight but now I'm not sure sure. Thinking of getting regular length post, either Fox Transfer 150mm or Bike Yoke 160. If I go with Fox, should I get the Kashima coating to match the fork/shock? I think it looks pretty good on the turquoise frame but it's extra and doesn't really do anything.

-crankset: I can move over my Race Face Next carbon cranks from Ripmo or buy Shimano XTR 12 speed crankset for the SB100. Thoughts?

-Tires: thinking of Ardent Race 2.35" in back and Minion DHF 2.3" or 2.5" in front. I've used this combo before and loved it for my riding. Good combo for speed and grip. Open to suggestions, though.

-Handlbars: should I get the Yeti branded ones or go with Race Face, Renthal, etc.?

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Chris

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Your making a great choice on your next bike and your reasoning is good as to owning an SB100 and a Ripmo Complement each other well. I'll tell you right now stick with a 120mm fork and I'd say the SC 34 is perfect for the bike and saves those few grams that add up. Don't bother with a 130mm fork since you want this bike nimble and well balanced and it's HTA is already perfect with the stock Geo.

Turquoise is the Classic Yeti color and I especially prefer it on the frame design and shape of the SB100 as it makes the bike look amazing and fast like intended.

I'd definitely recommend a 150mm dropper and I've been really happy with all the Fox Transfers I've owned....smooth, reliable and look great as an added bonus along with the other Kashima bits.....fork, shock and SI stanchions

I'd say put the RF Next cranks on the bike since you'll save around 100-125 grams compared to XTR cranks. I've always liked RF Next cranks and they've proven reliable on Trail/xc builds.

I'd say your right on point with tire choice. DHF 2.3" / Ardent Race 2.35" will give great turn grip up front and super fast rolling in the back.

If you wanna save a few grams you could do Forkaster/AR which does well in a variety of conditions and saves another 150-200 grams and rolls really fast.

Get the Yeti branded 760mm bars in 20mm rise and call it a day. You can usually find new takeoffs or even closeout on Comp Cyclists or eBay for $70-100.

XTR 12spd should be a perfect match for your build. Enjoy and PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I made my SB 100 into a trail type bike. I race it in endurance events early in summer. I sold my 4.5 and was wanting something that was a light trail bike. I something just fun to ride that climbs great. I was thinking of going to the SB130 but I liked the weight and how the SB 100 climbed.

My changes: I put a Pike Ultimate 130 up front. I kept my SC 120 fox 34 and will change it back next summer. It really makes the bike ride similar to the 4.5. It climbs slightly better than the 4.5 but is definitely slower feeling going up with the 130. Going down it is close to what the 4.5 felt like and is a lot more plush that with the 120 fork. I am still trying to dial the Pike in. I also put some aggressive Minion 2.5 up front and a aggressor in the back. Finally, I switched to the AXS group. It is nice but I am still trying to get used to the shifter.

Dropper: I was talked into a PNW dropper and I can tell you it is really good. I had issues with every Reverb I had and I like the Fox Transfers. The PNW is very smooth compared to the Fox droppers.

I would also check out the Spank Industry bars. I had both the Yeti bars and Spank and they are both nice. I couldn't really tell much of a difference.

Cranks: I am not a Shimano person, so I recommend switching to sram (ha). Just joking.

Color: Go turq for a change. Unless you are trying to hide it from your wife. Then I would go Black.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your making a great choice on your next bike and your reasoning is good as to owning an SB100 and a Ripmo Complement each other well. I'll tell you right now stick with a 120mm fork and I'd say the SC 34 is perfect for the bike and saves those few grams that add up. Don't bother with a 130mm fork since you want this bike nimble and well balanced and it's HTA is already perfect with the stock Geo.

Turquoise is the Classic Yeti color and I especially prefer it on the frame design and shape of the SB100 as it makes the bike look amazing and fast like intended.

I'd definitely recommend a 150mm dropper and I've been really happy with all the Fox Transfers I've owned....smooth, reliable and look great as an added bonus along with the other Kashima bits.....fork, shock and SI stanchions

I'd say put the RF Next cranks on the bike since you'll save around 100-125 grams compared to XTR cranks. I've always liked RF Next cranks and they've proven reliable on Trail/xc builds.

I'd say your right on point with tire choice. DHF 2.3" / Ardent Race 2.35" will give great turn grip up front and super fast rolling in the back.

If you wanna save a few grams you could do Forkaster/AR which does well in a variety of conditions and saves another 150-200 grams and rolls really fast.

Get the Yeti branded 760mm bars in 20mm rise and call it a day. You can usually find new takeoffs or even closeout on Comp Cyclists or eBay for $70-100.

XTR 12spd should be a perfect match for your build. Enjoy and PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks for your input. Interesting take on the tires. Will definitely look at the Forkaster...I'm definitely gonna go with the Fox 150 dropper now as well as using my RF carbon cranks and get the SC 120mm fork. I might as well build it fairly light with the parts I have and the ones I need. Only real weak link will be my wheelset, which is an I9 Trail 270 w/ 24 holes. It's not the heaviest but very good hubs and weight is not bad at around 1640g. I'm kind of stuck with them right now. Will likely buy a carbon upgrade next summer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made my SB 100 into a trail type bike. I race it in endurance events early in summer. I sold my 4.5 and was wanting something that was a light trail bike. I something just fun to ride that climbs great. I was thinking of going to the SB130 but I liked the weight and how the SB 100 climbed.

My changes: I put a Pike Ultimate 130 up front. I kept my SC 120 fox 34 and will change it back next summer. It really makes the bike ride similar to the 4.5. It climbs slightly better than the 4.5 but is definitely slower feeling going up with the 130. Going down it is close to what the 4.5 felt like and is a lot more plush that with the 120 fork. I am still trying to dial the Pike in. I also put some aggressive Minion 2.5 up front and a aggressor in the back. Finally, I switched to the AXS group. It is nice but I am still trying to get used to the shifter.

Dropper: I was talked into a PNW dropper and I can tell you it is really good. I had issues with every Reverb I had and I like the Fox Transfers. The PNW is very smooth compared to the Fox droppers.

I would also check out the Spank Industry bars. I had both the Yeti bars and Spank and they are both nice. I couldn't really tell much of a difference.

Cranks: I am not a Shimano person, so I recommend switching to sram (ha). Just joking.

Color: Go turq for a change. Unless you are trying to hide it from your wife. Then I would go Black.
Thanks for your advice. That's an interesting take on the forks in having two of them. I'm definitely leaning toward the Fox Stepcast for now but if I end up selling my Ripmo then I'll probably end up getting a 130 fork if I make it into my only bike. I'll check out PNW...And I am a Shimano person. Old school. Was thinking of getting complete build with AXS, however, but can't justify the price, especially since I just about have a whole drivetrain/brakeset sitting around collecting dust.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Take a look at the 9point8 Fall Line R dropper post. Great weight savings there. As for tires, I have been amazed by the Maxxis Rekon Race. They look as if they would be one step above a slick but have really been remarkable for dry conditions. Lot more grip that I would have expected.

Enjoy the bike, it is awesome!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Thanks for your input. Interesting take on the tires. Will definitely look at the Forkaster...I'm definitely gonna go with the Fox 150 dropper now as well as using my RF carbon cranks and get the SC 120mm fork. I might as well build it fairly light with the parts I have and the ones I need. Only real weak link will be my wheelset, which is an I9 Trail 270 w/ 24 holes. It's not the heaviest but very good hubs and weight is not bad at around 1640g. I'm kind of stuck with them right now. Will likely buy a carbon upgrade next summer.
I'd hardly call the I9 270 24 hole wheels a "weakness" - Anything but.
They are 1580 grams (not 1640).
I've owned many wheelsets (including ones made up wth Enves and Nox rims) and these are by far my favourite. A beautiful looking and feeling wheel. And perfect for this bike.
I'm not sure why you would ever consider a DHF 2.5 on an SB100 but up to you of course. Plus if those are the tires you're running I'm not sure how much an even lighter wheelset is going to help you.
I've built up my SB100 with those I9 wheels, AXS drivetrain, 34SC fork and Schwalbe Addix Racing Ray and Racing Ralph 2.25 tires (1250 grams for the set). Perfect light trail bike. Absolutely love this bike and set up - riding faster, longer, more confidently and more easily than I have in the last 10 years. Not even close really.

·
It's the axle
1,765 Posts
I'd hardly call the I9 270 24 hole wheels a "weakness" - Anything but.
They are 1580 grams (not 1640).
I've owned many wheelsets (including ones made up wth Enves and Nox rims) and these are by far my favourite. A beautiful looking and feeling wheel. And perfect for this bike.
I'm not sure why you would ever consider a DHF 2.5 on an SB100 but up to you of course. Plus if those are the tires you're running I'm not sure how much an even lighter wheelset is going to help you.
I've built up my SB100 with those I9 wheels, AXS drivetrain, 34SC fork and Schwalbe Addix Racing Ray and Racing Ralph 2.25 tires (1250 grams for the set). Perfect light trail bike. Absolutely love this bike and set up - riding faster, longer, more confidently and more easily than I have in the last 10 years. Not even close really.
I'm running the I9 Ultralite 24 hole. I'm 135lbs. I couldn't be happier with a bike. The last two rides I hammered (as "hammer" as a 60 year old can hammer) up 30% grades with the shock wide open. It felt like a hard tail. My build is 22.2 lbs, and I could lose a pound. But I wanted certain components. Love this bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Enduro vs XC XTR Crankset for SB100?

Anybody have advice on the best XTR crankset for the SB100? (XTR FC-9120 vs XTR FC-9100)? I'm setting the bike up for endurance rides and would prefer the 9100s for that, but wondering if the 162mm Q Factor with the 9100s would be too tight. The bike is currently running the XT FC-M8100 cranks with 172mm Q Factor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.