Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I presently own a 2009 Titus FTM with a full XTR build. I also own a 2006 Titus Moto Lite. I have owned Titus bikes for about 7 or 8 years now.
All of these bikes have been built up by me, I have not bought a LBS bike in over 10 years.

In the last month I have factory demoed a Gary Fisher Superfly 100 29" full suspension 3 times. I really like this bike. The only other 29" that I have ridden is the Pivot Mach 429.
I rode the GF again today and am contemplating buying this bike some time this week.

Not only do I like the 29", but IMHO this bike really rules. I feel so confident and really enjoyed my time riding.
However, I am not too fond of buying a bike that I can't build up myself though, and the components that I have on my present bike are better than the GF. Yes, I could swap out some of the components off the Titus if I purchased the GF.

My question here is this, am I just drinking the cool aid and not thinking straight or should I be looking for a different bike all together?

I would love to ride the Santacruz Tallboy, and would just buy the frame and swap all the components out. I am also aware of the frame issues on the GF, and that concerns me a little. At over $5000 for a bike, it seems to me a lot of money here. I have that in my Titus, and feel I have more bike for the money, or at least at the time that I built it up.
One other thing, I would like my next bike to last a few + years.

Other opinions here would be greatly appreciated!

Rider info:
50 years old
No racing involved or ever will be
Trail riding on Georgia trails
170 lbs, somewhat aggressive rider at times

Thanks
David

·
Registered
69 Posts
as far as components go having ridden and raced both full XTR and this year switching to full SRAM X9 i struggle to even put the xtr's up agains the x9 as the sram stuff if set right is the fastest most crisp mountain component group i have ever personally ridden. I would love to give X0 a try cause i really dont see how they can make it any better to be completely honest. Also the Noir Cranks are unbelievable.

just my .02 on the components.

FDC

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am not sure how THIS will affect dealers but I would ask before buying a GF if you want to make sure your shop will continue to support the brand.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts