Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been coming to this site for a few years now and reading the reviews prior to making my purchases, yet I had not registered on the forums until today. Even though this site has given me a wealth of resources out side the forums, I am now in need of people's opinions concering full suspension frames.

Here is my problem, I have always used a hardtail when riding and have upgraded my bike over the years with alot of parts. Well now I want to change the frame on my bike, the frame is an older Giant Crappy Iguana frame. I do want to wish to acquire a full suspension frame, and believe me I have looked at quite a few. My only issue is disc brakes, you see I do not want to go disc brakes so I dont know which to get that will support the V brake system.

Now the reason why I do not want to go Disc brakes, is because my bike has the Old School Spin Y Rims on it and they are in excellent shape. I took care of them over the years. Unfortunately these rims do not support disc brakes so therefore it's either keep the cool rims I love of go Disc brakes.. Since I am not a hardcore rider I would rather keep my rims for now abd get an older frame.

So now I ask you what frame is good to purchase even though it may be a few years old which will support the V brake system? I am not looking at killing my bank on a new used frames so any suggestions you have will be great.

Also what should I look out for (cons) when purchasing a used older full suspension frame?

Thank you for any input which you may give!
George

·
Registered
479 Posts
Everything depends on your budget... I have no idea what a spin y rim is, but if you are set on keeping them then thats what you need to do...just get a new(er) used bike from ebay that has v-brakes...you will prolly find some deals on those bikes as everyone seems to be going with discs...but if your wheels are really old, then consider the wear on the braking surface, if it is pretty much worn down, then you may want to go with discs, and keep your hardtail as an x-tra bike...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheels are Brand New WTB wolfs, The rims are old Carbon Y Rims from Spin. I mean the oparts on my bike now are pretty nice. There is everything from RaceFace parts, Shimano Parts, and so on. The parts arent old just the frame really, that is the only thing that is stock from that bike.

So thus I cant see myself buying a full bike when I have upgraded this one so much. I would rather get a compatible frame and keep the parts and toss the old one out.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
When atvsmurf wrote to consider the wear on your wheels braking surface, he was reffering to your rims (wheels = hub+spokes+rim), not your tires. He makes a good point - if your rims are really old then they will likely need replacing soon (over time the material on all v-brake rims get worn down from braking). If this is the case, might be a good time to get disc-wheels.

If you don't go that route, there should be plenty of used FS frames on ebay that support v-brakes. Here are a few random ones i found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Titus-Loco-Moto...7QQihZ011QQcategoryZ98083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-Specialize...8QQihZ003QQcategoryZ98083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/K2-RAZORBACK-3-...4QQihZ019QQcategoryZ98083QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BTW - if you're not a hardcore rider and thus don't want disc-brakes, then why do you want a FS bike?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Glad to see you finally decided to chime in!

A couple of thoughts for you. if you're set on swapping out components and using V braeks go to www.downshiftcycles.com and look at the Leader 626S. Great frame and it definitely won't break your budget. It can be had for below $600 if you choose the Cane Creek AD9 shock version. As for the wheelset, as others pointed out, it might be time to buy new wheels. If that's the case, you might as well buy something taht is both V and disc compatible. More than likely you'll end up with discs at some point.

Bob

·
Registered
699 Posts
I haven't shopped for a bike/frame in a couple of years, but I thought most could accomodate rim brakes. It shouldn't be hard to find one. My '04 Dakar has Vs, so I'm sure of that one.

"I do want to wish to acquire a full suspension frame..." And if you do want hard enough you will be able to wish for it- that fast typing gets me all the time, too. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
antonio said:
BTW - if you're not a hardcore rider and thus don't want disc-brakes, then why do you want a FS bike?
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

When I meant I am not a hardcore rider, I merely meant I don't do these 4ft or above high drops and/or super jumps like some guys i've seen at various trails. I will ride hardcore to an extent but I am not sucidal a.k.a Extreme like those younger than me. I am an older bastard at 42 and I realize finally that I am not made of steel like when I was younger, plus I have a very stocky frame from years of weight lifting so I am not light neither. I have been MTB-ing since I was 19 yrs old, I just took some time off in the last 4 years until recently when I went back to shed some weight and get back into the sport.

California L33 said:
"I do want to wish to acquire a full suspension frame..." And if you do want hard enough you will be able to wish for it- that fast typing gets me all the time, too. :)
Yeppers I have a habit of typing extremely fast and not looking at the screen and hitting reply even faster, so thus I end up with typos and looking like a tard at times. :lol:

Here is my old school Spin Rim (Yes I know the company is no more!)

For any one interested, there is actually some people selling the same set on ebay right now!

Listing #1:
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230078748528&fromMakeTrack=true

Listing #2:
https://cgi.ebay.com/SPIN-MOUNTAIN-...ryZ58089QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mer personally I love them way too much to conceive the thought of parting with them.

Now I know alot of people had mixed reviews on these old school rims, but I must honestly say from experience I have had my SPIN rims for over 7 years+ and I have never had any issues pertaining to them on trails or one the roads. Who knows maybe someday they will break, but until that day comes I will sport them happily. Sure there may be better rims out there, but at this point and time I am not ready nor want to trade off rims to anything else since I am quite content with them. The hubs have been maintain perfectly and the rim very well taken care of.

Now some people may say "You don't know what you are talking about!"

To that I say like everything else in life it's all about user preference on what you like and what you are comfortable with. I am comfortable with these rims for now until I damage them. But who knows what the future holds? So I guess I will look for a frame which supports both VBrake & Disc brake just in case, thus is why I asked for frame reviews, opinions and suggestions. I understand there maybe a slew of better rims out there, but I like this design as I like the Spinergy Designs. If you can reccomend other cool carbon rims by all means let me know as well.

·
Praying for rain!
83 Posts
Personally I will never believe that there is a better design for strength versus weight than good old spokes.

I will also never go back to rim brakes. In my opinion Crimson, disc brakes are just that much of an improvement.

Having said all of that here is my recommendation: Pre 2007 Santa Cruz Superlight. I am sure you can find a good deal. Why pre 2007? Because they no longer are v-brake compatable. They made their cross country machine disc only, that should tell you something.

Just my opinions. It is very likely that I will get flamed by the handfull of folks still riding V's.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Bit of a shame you can't just switch out the hubs for disc specific ones.

I can't remember if it was the '05 or '06 Giant Trance 4 frame only option that came with v brake tabs on the frame - it would make a very good dual suspension option for you for trail / xc maybe even some AM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.