Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK its taken a while but I have finally admitted to my self that the a/c of the Pikes is compromising the handling and ride of my 6.6 so the Pikes are going on evilbay and I need to get a replacement set of forks with a 20mm axle.

Now from where I stand I have two choices -

1 - buy some thing cheap on evilbay or the classifieds whilst I wait for feedback on the new 07 forks and then buy the 07 product once there is enough info to make an informed choice

2 ignore the 07 stuff and just buy the best new 06 product now

What do think ? I really need to get this right and I do have a strong preference for forks that you can lower for climbing.

look forward to your advice

·
Registered
22 Posts
There are far more options for 160mm travel forks in the '07 line-up. Marzocchi's All Mountain range is 160mm, Manitou's Nixon is 160mm and RS has the 160mm Lyric (and whatever Fox are doing to their 36 line). Since they're only revisions to current models they're only going to perform the same or slightly better due to minor tweaks (there is some new travel adjust stuff in the All Mountain range though).

I'd wait if i were in your position but only because not many of the '06 forks interest me that much.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
This year's 66 line is phenomenal. The SL rides better than any single crown out there with exception of the RC2X, which is just unbelievable. My PIKEs were pretty reliable, with a few exceptions, so I am a bit leary of the new line. I must admit, though, the Lyric looks very good with that trick travel adjustment mechanism. The damper is said to be incredible, too, per few people who have ridden them. Marzocchis look better.

_MK

·
pb2
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys thanks for that. Because I am based in the UK but buy my bike kit in America I can get away with the cost of experimenting with bike kit as I can usally get 80 to 90% of money back selling my kit on ebay or UK classifieds (sell within 3-6 months).

At this moment I am thinking of ditching my historic anti Fox forks stance and trying a pair of the 07 160mm travel Talas forks, from what I can make out the travel adjust is new for 07 as is something Fox call the FIT damper but I must confess I have not got a clue what this FIT thing is all about, for all I know it could just be more marketing hype?

What do you reckon to the 36 Talas forks, if I buy them and they turn out to be no good for me then I will dump them on ebay and try the Lyrics or something else.

MK is that the Lyric damper people are raving about or something else, thnx Paul

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
yespsb said:
Guys thanks for that. Because I am based in the UK but buy my bike kit in America I can get away with the cost of experimenting with bike kit as I can usally get 80 to 90% of money back selling my kit on ebay or UK classifieds (sell within 3-6 months).

At this moment I am thinking of ditching my historic anti Fox forks stance and trying a pair of the 07 160mm travel Talas forks, from what I can make out the travel adjust is new for 07 as is something Fox call the FIT damper but I must confess I have not got a clue what this FIT thing is all about, for all I know it could just be more marketing hype?

What do you reckon to the 36 Talas forks, if I buy them and they turn out to be no good for me then I will dump them on ebay and try the Lyrics or something else.

MK is that the Lyric damper people are raving about or something else, thnx Paul
Yeah, I was referring to the Lyric damper. As of your Fox choice, if you go with Fox, by all means do not go with the worst of them. TALAS is one seriously overhyped fork. If nothing else, look at what PUSH guys are riding, and they can tune the Foxes to their hearts content.

_MK

·
USB Rep'n
2,413 Posts
yespsb said:
-

1 - buy some thing cheap on evilbay or the classifieds whilst I wait for feedback on the new 07 forks and then buy the 07 product once there is enough info to make an informed choice
cnosider this option strongly. I recently got a Z1 FR SL on ebay for $150. Fork was in grea condition, included the axle and has worked flawlessly. For that kinda change, you can alwyas keep it as a spare in the ven that's needed or build up another bike as you accumulate parts. Just something to consider as I hear 07 is going to see some big changes and consequently, lots of bugs to get worked out.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
yespsb said:
MK, good point on the Push front, what are they riding? I haved used Darrens services in the past but Push don't get much coverage in the UK hence my ignorance
Last year it was a PIKE on a Turner 6Pack/RFX, this year, it looks like there's gonna be more beef up front, and it ain't a Fox.

_MK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.