Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can offer some advice. I havent ridden for a few years and recently hauled my diamondback traverse out of storage (shocked to see it referred to as 'vintage' on another forum!) it must be about 15yrs old now and I want to upgrade it as the wheel was once buckled and repaired and the saddle is - well its like there isnt a saddle there its so sore!). I'm not sure if I want shocks or a lighter bike. and there also seems to be a massive choice of brands now.

Basically I am going to be doing a bit of off roading but nothing massively rough. I have approx £300 quid to spend and am happy to go with a previous year model to get some discount.

Anyone make any suggestions as to a good make that wont break the bank and offer some advice on the shocks (I have seen a specialized bike on offer at £329 which had disc brakes - any advice on the advantage of these types of brakes)

I know its not a huge amount of info to go on but I am just after some pointers having not bought a bike for about 15 years.

thanks....

·
Registered
544 Posts
if i were you i would go to the closest few bike shops and see what they have available in your price range. once you get the models and prices, you can post them here if you'd like and then you can get some specific advice. i presume most of the models will be pretty similar at this price point.

do you want to be able to do learn drops and jumps and stunts on this bike? or do you just want to get out on the trail for exercise? a hardtail for XC riding would be perfect, like that specialized (most likely).

there are so many options you first have to see what's available in your area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news
The missus has just given the go ahead to go to £500. Looked inone local shop and they had the following ( i dont want to go to £500 if the difference between £500 and £300 isnt massive - the £500 came about cos the shop will do iinterest free over 12 months on a bike at £500 or more)

Had a look at following:
Giant Terrago Disc 2007 Spring Collection (£425)
Giant Yukon 2007 spring collection (£300)
Specialized hardrock Pro disc 2008 (£399.99)
Specilaized hardrock sport disc 07 (£329)
Giant XTC 4.5 (£500)

any advice on these would be great or even if anyone knows somewhere cheaper either in central belt of scotland or off of the interweb......

ta

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Specilaized hardrock has a tough frame but they are not particularly light.

Can you test ride those bikes? Even just a little spin on bike might tell you if it fits and feels right.

Will your helmet and gloves count against your £500 budget?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the £500 is for the bike only. I am off to cycle shop on saturday to try out the Giants and specialized but a mate suggested Marin. Looked around and saw Bobcat trail 07 in my price bracket. Can seem to find marin stockists anywhere near to go and have a look.

any advice on the marin bobcat 07?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I just suggest that you test ride everything you can, in your price range and a little above. If you find something that feels better than the rest, take it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought I would give an update. Checked all bikes out and it came down to the hardrock sport and the marin bobcat. Actually liked both but couldnt pick between (didnt help that I couldnt compare them side by side - different shops)

. The two shops pretty much decided for me when one offered the hardrock sport disc with the hydraulic brakes for 330 (the bobcat was £450 - no discount offered). Much as I had a budget of 500 i couldnt find enough on the marin to merit an extra 120. particularly as it will only be used for the odd weekends out. Plus put me in good books with missus who started to question why I needed a new bike when i had a perfectly good 15 year old one!!!!

I have now ordered the specialized - cant wait!! If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd appreciate it as I asked in the shop about maintenance on the hydraulics and he he told me that very little would be required (I wasnt so sure! I have only ever had standard brakes and am comfortable with adjusting them as I go along if needed)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts