Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some advice here.....

gonna retire my trusty ol' 26" rigid lime green Surly 1X1 when I get my new frame (eventually)...

I would like to transform her into a rim-braked SS drop bar'd monstercross rig (700c).

i have all the bits except the cockpit....and here's where i need halp.
- what bars?....i do like midge drops
- what linear pull levers?....cane creek?
- what stem? i hear a 'high' rise stem. am i wrong?
- what flat pedals...yes i want flats on this bike and have zero idea where to start :p

budget conscious on this build....just so ya know.

she'll be rolling on mavic ssc sl's shoe'd with 44 mutanoraptors, 32X16 (180 enos)....

thanks!

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
You could go with Midge Bars, or Salsa Woodchippers, or Ragley Luxey Bars, or even WTB Dirt Drops

If you go with 25.4mm sized bars - PM me - I might have a Dimension stem or two that could work.

As for brake levers - why not go with trusty Tektro RL520s - same thing as Cane Creeks (just a little less fancy)

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Um, so how are you going to run rim brakes on your conversion? I guess you already have a plan for it, but I want to hear it.

I have Tektro RL520s on my cross/commuter and I think the hoods are pretty comfortable and they are cheap.

Bars can be your wild guess. I had a pair of the old school wtb dirt drop and I ended up getting a pair of oversized road drops. I mostly ride on the hoods or the flat area of the bar, only moving down to the hooks on descents or when I was riding singletrack. The dirt drops weren't wide enough up top for my hands, a bell and a headlight. If you are going to be doing a lot of singletrack, go for a dirt drop- they work great for that. If you are going to see fire roads and pavement, maybe consider Salsa's Wood Chipper or Bell Lap or whatever the name is.

As for your stem, it depends on your steerer tube, your body and what you are planning on riding. If you are riding offroad a lot with this set up, you'll want the hooks of your bar where your hands usually reside on a flat bar- meaning you'll want something shorter with a steep angle. If you are riding on the top bit of the bar and the hoods, I imagine you might survive with the same stem height. On my set up I have the bars about even with the saddle. I don't find the reach to the hooks a problem on singletrack or the side trails I find, but mine is an actual cross bike and probably has a shorter tt.

I'll be interested to hear the rest of your info. I have a Redline MC that I finally built up (with 26" wheels....). I decided to stick with 26" wheels because I can have a 1.6" tire and full fenders and be able to clear mud ok. I'm thinking about setting it up with a trekking bar.

Oh, and another aside. I have three sets of Smart Sams. I bought a pair of 35mm Smart Sams for my cross bike and they are fantastic. I've used them on muddy singletrack and they work well. I ride all over from pavement to gravel roads and they roll fast. I bought a pair of 45mm for my almost 29er and a pair of 26x2.1 for my mtb for summer riding. Great all around tire and, maybe importantly for you, roll fast on pavement.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
umarth said:
Um, so how are you going to run rim brakes on your conversion? I guess you already have a plan for it, but I want to hear it.

I have Tektro RL520s on my cross/commuter and I think the hoods are pretty comfortable and they are cheap.

Bars can be your wild guess. I had a pair of the old school wtb dirt drop and I ended up getting a pair of oversized road drops. I mostly ride on the hoods or the flat area of the bar, only moving down to the hooks on descents or when I was riding singletrack. The dirt drops weren't wide enough up top for my hands, a bell and a headlight. If you are going to be doing a lot of singletrack, go for a dirt drop- they work great for that. If you are going to see fire roads and pavement, maybe consider Salsa's Wood Chipper or Bell Lap or whatever the name is.

As for your stem, it depends on your steerer tube, your body and what you are planning on riding. If you are riding offroad a lot with this set up, you'll want the hooks of your bar where your hands usually reside on a flat bar- meaning you'll want something shorter with a steep angle. If you are riding on the top bit of the bar and the hoods, I imagine you might survive with the same stem height. On my set up I have the bars about even with the saddle. I don't find the reach to the hooks a problem on singletrack or the side trails I find, but mine is an actual cross bike and probably has a shorter tt.

I'll be interested to hear the rest of your info. I have a Redline MC that I finally built up (with 26" wheels....). I decided to stick with 26" wheels because I can have a 1.6" tire and full fenders and be able to clear mud ok. I'm thinking about setting it up with a trekking bar.

Oh, and another aside. I have three sets of Smart Sams. I bought a pair of 35mm Smart Sams for my cross bike and they are fantastic. I've used them on muddy singletrack and they work well. I ride all over from pavement to gravel roads and they roll fast. I bought a pair of 45mm for my almost 29er and a pair of 26x2.1 for my mtb for summer riding. Great all around tire and, maybe importantly for you, roll fast on pavement.
great points!

I can grab a pair of Paul's Moto BMX brakes that are adjustable....but they are hella expensive. Prolly will switch over to Shimano cantis due to $$.

the rig will be primarily for offroad (tight and twisty ST in santa cruz)....but will ride with the kiddo to and from the park (very short distance). the shorter/tall stem would be the way to go.

i want the flat pedals for a) ease of getting on without special shoes, and b) for the more 'technically unfriendly' bits on a rigid bike....there are a few areas where i ride that would require dabs/jettison/holy-chit moments....

I'll look into the Smart sam's if i start pedaling more asphault...but I've been plenty happy with the mutanoraptors for my dirt fix....

i may go ghetto tubeless and see how that works....

·
Registered
618 Posts
How will the Shimano canti's reach the rim? I know there are post adapters around, but they certainly aren't common.

If I were you, I would absolutely be looking at Avid BB7 disc brakes instead. Avoid all the hassle of the canti-post incompatibilities. Buy the mountain version, and the long-pull levers you were already planning on, so that if you get tired of drop bars you can run a normal mountain lever.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SSSasky said:
How will the Shimano canti's reach the rim? I know there are post adapters around, but they certainly aren't common.

If I were you, I would absolutely be looking at Avid BB7 disc brakes instead. Avoid all the hassle of the canti-post incompatibilities. Buy the mountain version, and the long-pull levers you were already planning on, so that if you get tired of drop bars you can run a normal mountain lever.
not adjustable enough? ARGH! cannot go disk...wheels are rim only.

found these (then i would use my existing V's):
http://www.dreambike.com/69.htm#adjusters
http://www.biketrailershop.com/xtra...l?gdftrk=gdfV22203_a_7c1234_a_7c5298_a_7c1600

i have not thought thru this....apparently...dammit.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
I have a pair of FMF Powermoto brakes. I bought them for a 650b conversion. I doubt they could clear a 29x2.1 tire, so I don't know if your Paul Comp brakes will clear either.

I doubt that the xtracycle has room for 29er tires, but the dreambike adjusters look like a great pick up.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
umarth said:
I doubt that the xtracycle has room for 29er tires, but the dreambike adjusters look like a great pick up.
blah....dreambike just responded CX tires only...

i'm gonna have to rethink this whole thing....

higher end brakes, new wheels....or just mebbe keep it 26" for a bit....

·
Did I catch a niner+?
2,957 Posts
I have a set of Midge bars right now on a Fisticuff that I will be dropping soon for some WTB Dirt Drops (tomorrow actually). If you are interested in the Midge bars PM me about it.

I was planning on setting these bars up more for a road position on the hoods, but now am thinking of getting properly setup on a dirt drop.

The Tektro brakes can be had for $20 on fleabay easy and work really well. If you are going to go with some V Brakes I would look for some XT's or Avid 7s if you can. I would spend more on the V Brakes now rather then later, a quality set setup properly goes a long way.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
CHUM said:
blah....dreambike just responded CX tires only...

i'm gonna have to rethink this whole thing....

higher end brakes, new wheels....or just mebbe keep it 26" for a bit....
**** man, or you could try out them Smart Sams like I toldja to do... A cross bike is fun offroad, and if you swing for 45mm(ish) I bet you'll do better than you were expecting.

Discs would make it easier.

26" wheels rawk.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'll chime in... and partially echo what has already been said.

Brakes: Avid Single Digit 7 are some of the best brakes out there for the money, IME. You'll probably need an adapter plate or have a machine shop re-braze the bosses in the right place. That said, when I did a 29er conversion on my 26" Monocog, I used Tektro cantilevers front and rear and they worked great. No worries about the brake bosses being in the wrong spot.

Pedals: Tioga MX pros are about the only platform I would use. Expensive though. Try wellgo B67 as a slightly inferior but 50% cheaper alternative.

Bars: Lots of folks love the Woodchippers. I've never ridden them, but I just put a Soma Junebug on my new build and absolutely love it. Its like a midge with a little more room.

Levers: The Cane Creeks are manufactured by Tektro. I think the Tektro branded ones are RL520 or something like that, and about half the cost of the CC.

Stem? I'm 6'2", like a fair amount of reach, run my drops such that the flat of the bar is about level with the saddle, and set it up that way on my on and off road bikes. The stack o' spacers vs. high-rise stem is an aesthetic argument I'm not even gonna touch.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
umarth said:
Looks ****ing amazing.

Ride report better be forthcoming.
thanks.

gonna try to get out for a nite spin this eve....gonna test out the new build and some new cheap lights...

gotta feeling i'm gonna clobber the holey crap outta myself....

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
missed last nite's shakedown ride (dog tired)......so i donned my sexorist spandecko ensemble and hit the local dirt this afternoon.....

first off, 44 mutanoraptors roll like chit....have'm at 30 psi R and 28 F...gonna try a couple more #'s....but, mutanoraptors are hella grippy....which is good.

the trails where i ride (santa cruz) are tight/twisty ST varying from sand to hardpack to loam - i kept up top on the sand and hardpack...there are some roots and log rolls, but not too crazy (nuthin' like BC)..

the Surly handled very well...i thought the higher BB would throw cornering off but it didn't (i also suck at riding and prolly wouldn't notice the diff anyhoo;)). Accelerates nice (decent wheels), corners tight and feels waaaay more relaxed going down than a true CX rig.

the Soma junebug dirt drops are da bomb.....nice and wide with a flared shallow drop...the 35 degree 90mm stem puts the bars up high enough that i don't feel hunched over my front wheel. i wrapped the bars in a basic cork wrap and then topped them with some Soma thin grippy wrap (which was a pain in the butt). I also need to rotate the bars up a bit for comfort.

climbing some loose stuff in the drops was trickier than i figured it would be....rear wheel kept skipping (not like on my s-works tricross)....so i grabbed the hoods on the cheapo tektro's and that did the trick (the brakes/hoods are great for the price)...

i had a PW 68X113 BB that i swapped out for a shimano UN26(?) 68X118...this pulls my drive side arm out far enough to throw on a 34T or 36T eno ring when i decide to repurpose this rig for hauling the kiddo around on the flats......

I also had to throw a chain tug on the non-drive side (as well as the drive side)....i couldn't keep the QR tight enough....i guess I'm just a manimal :p

the brake conversion doo-dad (that moves the brakes up for a 700c wheel) work. runningg 44's is about as big as I would go....just enough clearance for mud and uck....and ya gotta keep the rear wheel pulled pretty far back in the drop outs...

build specs:
- '04 surly 1X1 frame
- mavic SSC's
- mutanoraptors 700X44
- endless spacers
- CK 20T rear cog
- WI ENO 180's (32T)
- Eggbeater SL's w/ Ti spindles
- SRAM 830 8spd chain
- couple chain tugs
- salsa skewers
- Avid single digit V brakes
- Xtracycle brake conversion doodads (F&R)
- full length housing
- Tektro 520 long pull levers
- Soma Junebug drop bars
- Uno stem (90mm X 35 degree rise)
- CK headset
- FSA seatpost (setback to compensate for the 'shorter' stem)
- Selle Italia SLR saddle
(i had most of the bits laying around)

weight - 23.3 lbs....kinda chunky but not too bad...

overall - not a waste of time....actually pretty fun....going to enjoy it for a bit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.