1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DONT LAUGH!
This is one of the best forks ever made, you know its true... :D
anyway, I am replacing this hellish thing w/ some new Zokes BUT,
I want to rehab this thing and make it usable for my g/f's ride.
I have never rebuilt a fork and dont know where to start, especially with this one.
Its too old to find anything on the net to help. Anyone know what can be done, parts ordered, etc?
Lend me a hand please, or some kind words of advice.
It is better than her Walmart RST, so dont try to talk me out of it!
This thing has not been maintained even once since it was new and was ridden for
like 5 seasons...ouch.
Thanx in advance

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Indy XC is spring/MCU only with no damping. So there's not much you can do to "rebuild" the fork. You can pull the legs off, wipe down and relube with Slick Honey but that's about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
it could be very difficult to find new MCU's (elastomeric rubber like things inside), if those need replacing. If you're not getting much squish out of them anymore they need to be replaced. Rockshox doesn't support that age of forks anymore, but you may be able to find springs for them at some place like cambriabike.

You can get NOS indy's, jett's etc on eBay for pretty cheap sometimes. I got a Jett for my wife's bike for about $30 shipped on eBay (hey it even has a disc brake tab! woohoo). It works fine for her needs, since she mostly rides easy trails and on the road.

oh, and in terms of 'rebuilding' it... you just need to unscrew the top caps (don't strip 'em if they are plastic, which they prolly are), pull out the innards, clean and grease as stated above, reassemble and you're done. I prefer to use a good grease like slick honey or some teflon lube/grease at least.
I've heard of ppl using motor oil in their quadra's/indy's, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Masonic said:
DONT LAUGH!
This is one of the best forks ever made, you know its true... :D
anyway, I am replacing this hellish thing w/ some new Zokes BUT,
I want to rehab this thing and make it usable for my g/f's ride.
I have never rebuilt a fork and dont know where to start, especially with this one.
Its too old to find anything on the net to help. Anyone know what can be done, parts ordered, etc?
Lend me a hand please, or some kind words of advice.
It is better than her Walmart RST, so dont try to talk me out of it!
This thing has not been maintained even once since it was new and was ridden for
like 5 seasons...ouch.
Thanx in advance

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
werd logbiter.
appreciate the help guys. I smell a project.
I never worked on my own forks, looks like i have a victim to disassemble.
Doubt I will be buying some other used ones when I have crap forks in my hands :eek:
where do i find this honey you speak of says pooh

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
About the only special tool you need is a long allen key. I can't remember if it's 5 or 6mm though.

Undo the topcaps, pull the elastomers/springs out then turn them upside down to shake anything else out. The long allen key drops right down to the bottom and once the bolts are undone the legs just pull off.

Manitous Prep M will work fine if you can't find slick honey.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Masonic said:
where do i find this honey you speak of says pooh
You just need some fork grease, Slick Honey, Prep-M or if you have to, Judy Butter. Try your LBS. Whatever you get should have the consistancy of vasoline. You just don't want a thick grade 2 grease like most automotive & bike greases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.