Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Shrockie
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new UST REAR tire for rocky> Hardpack> loose.. (norcal: Demo, Santa Cruz, Downieville, Norhtstar)

I've been doing more DH/ FR lately.. so a 2.5" is in order..
my Minion DHR got destroyed at Northstar/ Whistler in 6 days so I'm looking for something a little stronger than 42a durometer.

I really like the High Roller, but the 2.5" is only available in 42a supertacky.. I'm just afraid it'll get blown out on the tahoe rocks like the DHR did..

Anyone have Advice for a 2.5", UST, Rear tire that will hold up a little longer than the Super Tacky Maxxis?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Best,

Joel

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You might want to check out the Arrow Ramped Bite UST. It comes in both SRS (47a) and normal (62a). True 26 x 2.5" tire (measures 27" dia). I use the UST SRS in the back of my Banshee for regular trail riding and it doesn't wear any faster than Kenda sticky rubber IMO. The weight is about 1450g, but you get awesome sidewalls and a tenacious bead that has never burped or rolled off in the 3 years I've been running them at ridiculously low pressures on an ex823.

Good source here.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got the Arrow ramped bite on the back and running it for a while. Its held up really well. I'm in nor cal and ride all the places you listed. But I would like something lighter in the future, but im scared to get rid of my arrow, its been great

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

·
Shrockie
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice, gentlemen! I ordered the Ramped bite, but was back-ordered for months. I eventually canceled it. too bad. looks like a sweet tire!

I put on a Big Betty that I got at a swap for cheap. nice tire for winter on soft muddy trails, but the soft compound was beginning to get shredded when the trails dried. the high speed braking was too much on the rough surface. I don't slide too much, just to 'find the edge'. it's a great tire for softer conditions like the Pac-NW. Norcal rocks are a bit much for it tho.

in the end, I really liked the DHR, so I just picked up a new one. my DHF has been fantastic on the front. The tread pattern and compound of the DHR is great, but all that traction comes at the price of longevity. If more frequent replacements mean that each ride is more stable and more satisfying, i'm okay with that. I would still like to try the arrow again for reference. They look pretty sweet too!

Thanks again for your suggestions. I greatly appreciate your advice.

Best,

Joel

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
bholwell said:
Joel, not true. The UST High Roller 2.5 is available in the 60a compound- PN TB74220500. http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Downhill/High-Roller-UST.aspx
I use the UST 2.5 High Roller 60a quite often- it makes a great non-race tire and sometimes I use it on the rear for race runs also.

Anyway, the only place I've ever been able to find it is CRC in the UK. I figured the UST 2.5 60a version just wasn't available in the USA market, has that recently changed? Or, is it that just nobody really stocks in the USA, but it's been available to them?

Either way, I keep a stock of 42a and 60a 2.5 UST High Rollers, love those tires!

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I've got the Ramped Bites on my M3 and they hewk up in ALL conditions! I think they're the 42 duro versions tho cause they wear really fast! Love them at Whistler but I think ANY 42 duro rear is gonna be toast in a week of lift assisted riding.

Have FUN!

G

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been riding my arrow for a long time and love it. But I thought the weight was something like 1500grams, I never weighed it. But anyone know if its actually 1200? Also I ride with a mobster 2.7 in the front and i've really liked it. It seems to be doing pretty good in summer too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Are you looking for a true DH 2 ply sidewall? You might consider the Continental Rubber Queen/Trail King 2.4 UST Black Chili Compound. It measures at least as big as the Minion 2.5. It grips as well as the 42a ST compound, and it wears better, It's a single ply though. I would second the 2.5 Highroller 60a as an option also if you can find it.

·
Shrockie
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good call, Godfather.. I just picked up Rubber Queen 2.4" and ran it last weekend. Massive tire. performs well. not too heavy.
Took a caliper to it and my 2.5 DHF minion..
RQ 2.4 = 2.4" (Germans love precision)
DHF 2.5" = 2.27

liked the tread, but it was too much tire for my Nomad. would pick up rocks and drag on the inside of the rear triangle. was concerned about wear over time. Hooked it up for a buddy with a bullit. no clearance problems.

will check out the 60a Highroller thanks for supporting the recco. Do you find that the higher derometer results in feeling like you have less stopping power? as in, skids easily?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I was a bit surprised out how little issue I had with clearance on my Epiphany with the RQ mounted on Easton Havens. It was a little close around the seat stay brace, but actually clears fine. I tend to prefer the ST in the Maxxis tires, but haven't found the 60a to be overly prone to skidding on the rear. I also like the Continental Der Kaiser a lot for the limited time I've gotten to ride mine. Too bad they don't offer a UST version of it. I'm not a fan of sealant, so I've been running tubes in them an a set of DT FR2350's. I'd like to see a 2.2 Rubber Queen/Trail King UST with Black Chili. That would solve your clearance issues on the Nomad, give me a little breathing room on my Epi, and probably roll a little faster, especially on those long climbs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.