Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I do a early spring gravel grinder here in Wisconsin called the B.A.L.L.S. ride. 107 miles first day, 67 miles second day. Route is rail trail, 50 mi of ATV "mixed use trail" and 5 miles of pavement. Weather is usually horrible and trail conditions are a mix. With our ongoing winter, I am guessing the trails will suck this year. (Last year we were treated to 50 miles of washboard after the DNR sent a tractor down a soggy railtrail to trim trees).

I have always done it on a 29er ss. THis year I am thinking about using my pugs. Ride is in 5 weeks. I have been doing some spin classes and winter singletrack riding, but no "base miles." Never ridden the pugs more than 10 miles at a time.

Looking for suggestions on how to set up the pugs and others' experiencing doing a fat gravel grinder. I would prob swap the moonlander fork I have on it with a salsa enabler for a more laid back ride and throw on my brooks saddle and thudbuster seatpost. Also prob. try and score a used set of endos to replace the 10 pound devisa8tor tires.

Tell me your fat century stories and dos and donts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too am signed up for the ride. It should be fun even though I have yet to do a gravel century. Plenty of road centuries but not the gravel. I have purchased a set of Endo / Larry tires to switch out from my B&L's but plan on leaving the 9 oh 7 essentially stock, save bar ends.

While I love base miles, comfort will be the next best thing. No replacing the muscle memory of the repetitive grinding of snow / gravel miles. Otherwise, do what makes you more comfortable. It's not a race so fun and just doing it are the "soup de jour" for me. Excited!!

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Based on my experience in 24hrs, I think you'll find it covers more ground in a specific time without feeling "faster".

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pug frame + enabler fork + rolling daryl front rim + origin 8 rear rim + 2 surly tubes + 2 devisat8er tires + thudbuster + brooks saddle + 3 water bottles =45 lbs.

Rode around neighborhood. At speed w/ wind at back = good; in wind or any hill = riding with cement blocks.

Need to find some lighter tires that dont cost $90 a pop or this is a thought experiment only. Also, riding position is completely different than other bikes... very upright....but maybe that would be a good thing on such a long ride.

·
Registered
520 Posts
As long as your bike is properly fitted, then just ride it as is. No sense in trying to make it faster, otherwise you may want to ride a different bike.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pug frame + enabler fork + rolling daryl front rim + origin 8 rear rim + 2 surly tubes + 2 devisat8er tires + thudbuster + brooks saddle + 3 water bottles =45 lbs.

Rode around neighborhood. At speed w/ wind at back = good; in wind or any hill = riding with cement blocks.

Need to find some lighter tires that dont cost $90 a pop or this is a thought experiment only. Also, riding position is completely different than other bikes... very upright....but maybe that would be a good thing on such a long ride.
Not much in the fat bike world less than $90. Light tires are usually in the $150+ range.
I have an old 27tpi Endomorph I'd be willing to sell but its not exactly light. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it would be over your current tires and I would not recommend it on the front as handling get wonky with the Endo.

A cheap and easy way to save weight is get the Q-tubes 26x2.7 ultra-light tubes. Work fine in 4" tires and are about half the weight of a Toob. Cheaper too and easier to carry as spare. Tubless would be another option.

Craig

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Tim, my advice is not to sink any money into different tires for this ride...especially since you're not really in love with the Devist8rs for winter use either, right? If you're going to buy tires, get a pair of On One Floaters for winter.

2 tires for $130 delivered.
On-One Floater Fat Tyre | On - One

As for BALLS, either stop worrying about the weight of the Pugs, or don't ride it.

Easy for me to say right? I just built up a "skinny" fat wheelset with Velocity Dually rims for BALLS/Summer use on the Mukluk.

·
VENI VEDI BIKI
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good advice. I suppose I could just stop drinking beer and lose 10 lbs before the ride as well! I am going to give her a shakedown ride this weekend...so we'll she how she does.

·
PUG U!!!
192 Posts
Stop thinking so much!! ;)
I've done plenty of 100's+ since I built my Pugs up in '08.
Wind is my only deciding factor....... Although what doesn't kill you always always makes you stronger!!!
I won't talk on tires, because everybody and their brother has an opinion!! ;)
With that said, if ya have a set you don't care for, run them!! Lol
Get the undercarriage used to the saddle time!! Bag balm has always worked for me!!!
As always what I say means nothing!!
Pedal On!!
Peace

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another BALLS'er here. Tim, I'll be rolling Q-tubes with 120tpi Larrys. I figure the Larrys are a decent trail tire, and I have Bud & Lou for winter. But overall I think Nate is right. Use the Origin8 tires for this summer, put on the Floaters for winter duty (get the hot pink ones for extra points), and maybe next year look at lighter summer tires. These bikes suck in the wind (upright, big frontal area, high rolling resistance)...it's just a fact we can't really overcome.

Didn't Butch "win" BALLS last year on a 907 on Nates? Yeah I know, he's an animal...

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I'm sure you could score a pair of cheap endos or standard larry's off craigslist or here. Put out WTB adds. Someone will be willing to let a pair go for under $75.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts