Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a brand new 2010 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. The stock fork is a 100mm Rockshox Recon (Coil).I remember being told it was a Recon SL, but I can't find a specific spec.

Here are the bike specs:
2010 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

I think this is the service manual:
https://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/tm_my102.pdf

The fork feels too soft for me, even with the preload tightened all the way. It routinely bottoms out if I'm not careful. My riding style is fairly aggressive trail/all-mountain - no drops bigger than 3-4 feet. I weigh ~ 170 lbs.

Ideally I would buy a new fork, but I don't have the money for it right now, so hopefully someone with more suspension experience could help me out here:

1. Where can I find a replacement spring to buy?

2. What options are available for springs for this fork? Which spring is recommended for my weight/riding style? I think Rockshox has some docs that explain it, but I can't seem to find them.

3. Do I need to replace oil or seals during a spring replacement?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
1: any bike shop, Sram I don't believe will sell direct to you.
2: they come x-soft to x-firm; as far as I know RS do not list specific rates. I'd guess firm would be the right one for you, as it should have come stock with a M.
3: no.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Does the fork have a compression damper? Most bikes come with a Med spring and that is the correct spring for you weight. If it doesn't have a damper, I would try that first. I think they cost about the same as a Motion Control damper. You would have to change the oil if ya did that. I,m 180+ and run Med springs on 3 different forks.

Spring rate chart
http://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...coil_spring_chart_gen_0000000004149_rev_c.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! The model is 2010 Rockshox Recon XC.

The fork does NOT have a compression damper, but the next step up (Recon SL) does, so I'm hoping it's compatible. That's a great suggestion and I'll try that first.

I'm going to call SRAM tomorrow and ask them if my fork is compatible with a compression damper and what the part numbers are. LBS doesn't do suspension work and they don't know much about it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Most of the RS stuff is cross compatible. Try to get a Motion Control one if ya can. Your oil levels might be a little different but it will work. Even one from a Pike will work if your stanchions are aluminum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts