Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum and was hoping to get some input on a good starter mountain bike. Im 6'2 205 lbs.

I was checkin out this one on craigslist a 2005 KHS Comp st. It has a lot of upgrades and the guy was real upfront about its use and the modifications he made to it

Here is a list of the specs and ugrades;

2005 Manitou Nixon Elite front fork with adjustable front suspension travel. Turn the knob on top of the fork in or out and the suspension will adjust from 100-145MM of travel (4-5.5 inches) This is nice so you can adjust it for different terrains. This is a coil spring fork and is super plush making the ride much more comfortable and smooth

Hayes Nine Hydraulic Disc Brakes with 6" rotors. These come stock on many popular $1800 mountain bikes. Not all disc brakes are created equal and these outshine many others, beware of bikes that come with inferior disc brakes or even crappy mechanical disc brakes. These brakes will stop the bike in a hurry!`Also upgraded the lines to teflon lined stainless steel

WTB Seat with Titanium rails. This seat is nice and comfy (for a bicycle seat lol) and also saved a bunch of weight. I also upgraded the seat post that is fully adjustable, lightweight, and stiff

Shimano LX Deore front and rear Dearailleurs and Sram Attack Trigger Shifters. These shifters are excellent and very popular and come on many high end bikes. They shift really nicely! Also has a set of Truvativ Cranks and bottom bracket

Panaracer FireXCPro 2.1 tires. These tires are super popular and work well on all the trails in the bay area. Do a search on these tires and read all the great reviews! They have excellent side grip and climbing grip yet are lightweight to help you climb up those hills.

Id really appreciate your opinions of if there are any other bikes you could recommend. hes asking $375.

Thanks in advance
TJ

·
Registered
290 Posts
On paper it looks like a great deal.

Make sure:
1. It fits you. If it's too big or small you'll soon find out. Ask to test ride it for a few miles on local trails.

2. It's in good shape. Again, test ride it. Brakes work? Wheels true? Everything spinning freely? Fork smooth and not sticky? Unless this guy is a hardass I cant imagine an '05 is in too bad a shape, but you never know.

3. It fits you.

I thought there was a sticky somewhere around here about things to look for when buying a used bike. Bikes aren't too complicated, really. A good test ride should reveal most of it's issues, if it has any. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mook, yeh your right, there was a thread for the starter bikes... didnt catch it when i jumped onto the forum. lol

Anyways Im checkin out the bike today so we'll c how it goes.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.