Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in Aspen next week for a seminar for work and should be able to squeak out at least 3 hours to do a ride. I'm bringing my Ibis Mojo. If you have only three hours, what is the best ride to do? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Any directions to the trail would also be greatly appreciated as I do not know if I will be able to get by a bike shop during work hours for a map. Thanks.

Also, if any of you are ever in Boise, Idaho, and want to ride, let me know and I can hook you up.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
That all depends. How fit are you? What altitude do you live at? How fast do you normally ride? Do you want killer 1-track or good views or both? Where in Aspen are you staying? Will you have access to a car? If not, then check out RFTA.com, to look into taking the bus.There are several rides in the area that I do in 3 hours. Some will still have snow, but most are riding nicely.
My choice would be Smuggler to Sunnyside, to Rio grande, to Smuggler. Great three hour loop. If you can get to Snowmass Village, I'd look into the grand loop. Anarobic Nightmare to Gubmint, to West Gubmint to rim to Highline. Great loop.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'm moderately fit (I ride 4 times a week 10 to 20 mile loops). I live at 3,000 foot, but often ride in the 6,000' range in the mountains just north of Boise. I'm staying at St. Regis and I will have a car, but I would prefer to ride something close if possible. I would like to ride as much single track as possible. It sounds like Smuggler to Sunnyside, to Rio grande, to Smuggler is the trail. How do I find it from the St. Regis?

And thanks again.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
You'll be staying just south of Wagner Park. Smuggler mountain is on the upper right hand side of this map. It's about a 5 minute ride across town. You'll find a bunch of cars parked at the bottom and everyone and their dog on the road. After you lose the road and hit the single track, you will see maybe two other people the entire time, until you hit Rio Grand. But it's the old rail road right of way and is flat and paved. It makes a nice cool down. Have fun.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=A...2:39.187781:-106.81965:0::/io:0:::::f:EN:M:/e

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again

I'm looking forward to the ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.