Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the been looking for a FS bike for a while and have an opportunity to test ride a WSD Trance. I have only ridden a HT bike. This trance has been demoed twice on trails. Not by me. I have yet to see it but hope to test ride this weekend. My question is since it is not "brand" new. What should I look for? To make sure it is in buyer condition. I know very little about FS and Hydralic brakes. Are there obvious things to look at to make sure it wasn't trashed? Also how does a FS fit diffrently then a HT? And should I test ride a kona or other bike to see the difference in suspension? I hear a lot of great things about the Giant's suspension. Sorry so long winded.

Kat

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I'm not someone who has bought used before, but I'll tell you what I'd be looking at if it was me.

-Check the frame carefully all over for dings/dent/s scratches.
-Check the fork for any scratches/nicks on the stanchions.
-Check out the brake pads to see if they correspond to the mileage the owner says it has done.
-Gently lift the saddle ever so little and see if you feel any slackness/looseness in the suspension indicating maybe pivot bearings going or shock bushings etc.

Note that the 2005 model of the Trance came spec'd with the wrong kind of bearings and a lot developed serious play in the suspension because of this - it was easily fixed by pressing out the old bearings and replacing them w/ the proper bearings available from Enduro. Once the bike looks in good condition chances are it is, now if you ask what you should pay I haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Kat said:
What should I look for?
In addition to what Lynx has to say:
- Check the drivetrain for worn chainrings and sprockets. If all the edges are rounded off then you'll be needing to rock out for new chainrings, cassette and chain. Also check the derailleur jockey wheels for wear.

- Check that the headset and rear suspension isn't loose (do this by lifting the bike and trying to move them)

- If the drive train is dirty when you pick it up for a test, then you know the owner hasn't been maintaining the bike well. Which means there's a chance that some problems might develop.

- If there's any exposed cable, check that it isn't frayed or rusty (otherwise this may mean you'll have to replace them too).

- Check the wheels. They should be almost true (we are MTBers after all) and the spokes should have ample tension. Check that the disc rotors are straight as weell.

Lastly- you'll need to look at getting the bike serviced when if you buy it (unless you or a friend can do it). Also, you should ask when the bike was last serviced and if the forks have been serviced etc.

Kat said:
Also how does a FS fit diffrently then a HT?
Otherwise, all the fit rules stay the same- but with FS you're geometry moves round a little more. Which really isn't that big of an issue.

EDIT: I probably diddn't explain myself all that well... and now that i read back on it, it doesn't make a lot of sense either??? I was just getting at the idea that when the suspension sags, you may feel like you're sitting to low (something I hate). but yes, antonio is right- leg extension should dictate saddle height

Kat said:
And should I test ride a kona or other bike to see the difference in suspension?
It's safe to say that most FS designs out there work and are reliable. There are noticeable differences in the way they feel, but they all do the same job in the end. So go out there and test, because you may like a particular design more than another. Also you may be able to find a better deal. Don't get me wrong, I love maestro because i can sit and spin with more traction up, down or flat. It's just a lot of fun not having to think about absorbing every bump and choosing your line (although my XC HT, makes sure I don't forget how to!).

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
majura said:
When the bike is stationary, put the saddle a little higher than usual- the suspension sag will lower your saddle height a tad.
Not true at all (except for a select few FS designs). The distance between the pedals and the saddle does not change when the suspension sags. For dialing in your saddle height, just follow the same protocol you would on a HT.

majura said:
It's safe to say that most FS designs out there work and are reliable.
Generally speaking, I'd agree.

majura said:
There are noticeable differences in the way they feel, but they all do the same job in the end.
Some just do the job noticeably better than ithers.

Ant
-Sorry for being disagreeable. it's way past my bedtime. :D

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
The best reason for testing some other FS bikes is so that you'll appreciate how much the Trance rules in comparison. Especially at price point.

I don't know what "WSD" is (store demo?), but besides getting the right frame in the right size, the next key thing is a getting the right fork to start with - a little research will help.

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
I would want the bike shop selling it to be close by, hopefully my regular shop, so that if any issues do arise, you can take it to them and they can give you some free labor, or at least friendly-priced labor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.