Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Moto Rider said:
Oh Sure!
Get a life, will ya?:lol:
"Motorider'- You're a complete d!ckhead. Die, be nice here, or stick with the asswipe moto crowd.

To the original poster- nice ride, nice bike, and glad you're out having a good time on your bike:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
Thanks for the inspiring shots. Why ride rigid in this day and age?Us old guys were throwing that stuff in dumpsters 10 years ago without remorse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
frikka said:
Thanks for the inspiring shots. Why ride rigid in this day and age?Us old guys were throwing that stuff in dumpsters 10 years ago without remorse.
Cheaper, less maintenance, faster on your average mtb trail, challenges you more, makes chicks dig you more.....
 

·
gnar, brah
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Scott O said:
Cheaper, less maintenance, faster on your average mtb trail, challenges you more, makes chicks dig you more.....
I agree with all of those but faster?!? I guess that depends on how you define "average".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
I agree with all of those but faster?!? I guess that depends on how you define "average".
I'd say technical, rocky, hilly southern new england singletrack, a good rider is much faster riding a rigid singlespeed for 10 or 15 miles or so. If there's a lot of drops, it will beat you up a bit, as well as the bike and slow you down. Personally, after 10-15 miles on a rigid ss I start to wear out and that's where gears and suspension help smooth things out.
 

·
The Punk Hucker
Joined
·
3,755 Posts
Whoa... Not faster sorry... very far from it in fact.

It does force you to take smoother lines which in return will make you faster but riding these same smooth lines with a suspension will be even faster.

I seriously disagree
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
PissedOffCil said:
Whoa... Not faster sorry... very far from it in fact.

It does force you to take smoother lines which in return will make you faster but riding these same smooth lines with a suspension will be even faster.

I seriously disagree
I agree with the people that disagree.
 

·
I'm SUCH a square....
Joined
·
1,955 Posts
OK, we all got out opinions -- OP likes riding rigid, other's don't -- just remember, fast isn't about the bike. Trust me when I say -- SLOW knows...!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
Scott O said:
I respectfully disagree with the people who agree with the people disagreeing.
so far from the truth, why is EVERY downhill bike have >7 inches of travel?? to go faster. no WAY you can go faster in rocky terrain on rigid. are you only talking about uphill?(must be). and SS, please. every big race has 2 categories, open and SS, SS is always way way behind. pull your head out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
Yes it does force you to take smoother lines which often are straighter lines. It forces you to think more and to better utilize momentum both up and down, and around corner. You rely on your brakes much less. There are a number of factors that need to be in place in order to make a rigid ss go faster:

Conditioning - if you're not in real good shape, all bets are off.
Skill - you need to be really smooth on the bike and utilize your upper body very efficiently in order to absorb the bumps and maintain momentum.
Distance/Time - the shorter the distance/time, the faster you are on a rigid ss. As you begin to get tired, the benefits of suspension and gears start making more sense.

4 out of 5 bike scientists agree that I am correct.

dft- was anybody talking about downhilling? No there weren't. Idiot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
Scott O said:
Yes it does force you to take smoother lines which often are straighter lines. It forces you to think more and to better utilize momentum both up and down, and around corner. You rely on your brakes much less. There are a number of factors that need to be in place in order to make a rigid ss go faster:

Conditioning - if you're not in real good shape, all bets are off.
Skill - you need to be really smooth on the bike and utilize your upper body very efficiently in order to absorb the bumps and maintain momentum.
Distance/Time - the shorter the distance/time, the faster you are on a rigid ss. As you begin to get tired, the benefits of suspension and gears start making more sense.

4 out of 5 bike scientists agree that I am correct.

dft- was anybody talking about downhilling? No there weren't. Idiot.

again, please explain ONE simple fact. XC races are not that long. how come SS NEVER wins? not ever. the day you see a WC XC racer on SS, i'll start believing. won't happen.
 

·
Really I am that slow
Joined
·
3,778 Posts
not faster but funner ;)

different strokes for different folks....

if it has pedals and a wheel or 2 its all good in my book =)

Derailuers are for failures ;)
 
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Top