Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Mtbr Founder
34,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife said we should get one as our kids leave for school and she wants to roam without airplanes.

What are the options, trade-offs, costs, etc, etc.

Who's got one? What have you learned?

Where to buy one or look. I understand the demand is starting to skyrocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
before Covid, i was eating breakfast with a bunch of retired ex-coworkers. i mentioned me being jealous of their retirement and stated i wanted to buy a Sprinter to explore. two of the guys instantly groaned. they both had one and both had huge problems. they didnt go into details, but they said owning one was so cost prohibitive, since everything is so expensive to fix. on a fixed income. they both dumped them in quick sales.

i'd love to get a 2006 diesel truck and a Airstream when i retire. i changed my tune :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You should either give all that money to poor people or light it on fire and then buy yourself a nice backpack and hiking boots with what remains.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,108 Posts
Sprinters... We have 6 of them in our small fleet, so not adventure equipped by any means. Four of them have been trouble free, two of them have been a pain in the ass. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Sprinters... We have 6 of them in our small fleet, so not adventure equipped by any means. Four of them have been trouble free, two of them have been a pain in the ass. YMMV.
i think a lot of the problems were the interior equipment related as well.

·
2,886 Posts
Promaster.

Cheaper, it has a minivan motor so easy to find someone to work on it, they are wider so easier to sleep sideways, lower floor, slightly more square so easier to build out and front wheel drive. The only con is that you can't get it in 4wd, or convert it.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
web site: expeditionportal.com some of the vehicles these folks adventure in are something else..like lifted chevy astro vans...

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Ive always liked the idea of buying a ol' van conversion and just driving.....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
If you can rent before deciding, then you should (like demoing a bike before purchasing).

We rented an RV a couple of weeks back (32 footer, E450 undercarriage, 2014 model with 30k miles). I "thought" it was going to be a great experience... it wasn't. I wasn't necessarily intimidated by the size, although it isn't the most practical thing to drive. But driving the thing on the freeway and passing/being overtaken by big rigs could be sketchy sometimes. And boy did everything rattle! I could not even have a decent conversation inside without needing to raise my voice. It really could just be the build, so rent other RVs/camper vans before deciding. I'm probably going to try a diesel pusher next time (rear-mounted engine).

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
And since we're kinda talking about vans, I just got this as a gift from my cousin. First thing I did was install a hitch (priorities). LOL! honda hitch.JPG honda.JPG

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd go SportsMobile if anything. They've been proven to work great and they build them on a variety of platforms. The Sprinters can be a pain to fix as well. Another option you could look into is a 4wheel camper as well.

Just depends on budget to be honest. Just like all things.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts