Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks,
It's that time of year when we are getting prepared and excited for the upcoming
Bear Valley Adventure Sports Festival
on August 16-17, 2008.

Basically it's a cool little gathering with mountain biking, road cycling, rock climbing, bouldering, and kayaking. Plus an evening bash with good food, excellent people and tons of prizes.

Festival Highlights:
Mt. Bike Race - Grizzly Challenge: 3 Divisions; 1-3 laps; cash prizes
Ebbetts Pass Century: 101 miles; 12,800 feet climbing; Fist 100 registrations get into Death Ride 2009 (www.deathride.com)
Outdoor Bouldering Competition: 100+ problems; V0-V6+, cash prizes, & beautiful setting.

Grizzly Challeng Course Map:

·
Registered
759 Posts
There is some nice riding up there. I have been looking forward to this since last year. My question is why are you making it a race instead of just a guided tour? Anyway, I have it marked on my callender and will try my best to make it up there for the race. Even if I don't go all out for the race, the trails are worth going back up for.

·
Dirt/y girl-y tomboy
71 Posts
Passenger13 said:
There is some nice riding up there. I have been looking forward to this since last year. My question is why are you making it a race instead of just a guided tour? Even if I don't go all out for the race, the trails are worth going back up for.
That said, this looks fun & fresh dirt (new trails) to ride for another mini summer MTB day/trip possibility. They have a "take it easy" tour & the reg. ($) isn't too bad. I'll start the MTBR carpool thread for this..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks "Passenger13" & "Got Rocks?", and glad to hear that you are getting psyched for this event.

Passenger13: We opted to change the Saturday format into a race based on feedback we got from last year. Many people had difficulty paying an entrance fee for "just a ride". One thing I haven't yet ironed out the details yet (or posted on the website) is that we are likely going to be offering free guided tours on Saturday afternoon on local trails other than the race course.

Got Rocks?: Thanks for posting a carpool thread for this, as I was wanting to do something like this for the event.

FYI: The "Taking it Easy Tour" is pretty basic and intended for new riders. As mentioned above we are gonna try and offer guided tours on Saturday afternoon after the race. Plus Sunday will have more guided tours plus the "Shuttle-O-Rama" option. Heck why not stay for the weekend and get into the festival groove? 2 days can help justify the fuel cost.

As you can tell this event is a "work-in-progress". Last years was the first year we expanded out of the rock climbing events to included the road cycling, mountain biking and kayaking. We certainly recognized the cool synergy for combining the events, then getting everybody together in the evening for a cool party. Keep an eye on the website as we have interest in adding additional activities such as trail running, hiking and disc golf.

Regardless, I hope that many of you can make it!

·
Dirt/y girl-y tomboy
71 Posts
yes, after reading more, i saw the "Take it easy" ride might be too easy (& short). if there are more tour rides, then that would be good to check out fresh dirt (& even hikes, etc.).

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am signed up for the 2 lap race along with one friend of mine. I will be heading up Friday and should be in Silvertip campground by 6pm. I would have raced the Grizzley challenge but I didn't want to see the same scenery 3 times to get get my 26 miles in. How many laps are you doing? Who else is in?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.