Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Out of curiosity: Take a bike with a direct mount stem, put it through a really bad handle bar wrenching crash. Which would *probably* give in the first, the fork (stanchions), the frame, the stem/crown interface or the bars? With a normal stem I would assume you would just lose alignment.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Quarashi said:
Out of curiosity: Take a bike with a direct mount stem, put it through a really bad handle bar wrenching crash. Which would *probably* give in the first, the fork (stanchions), the frame, the stem/crown interface or the bars? With a normal stem I would assume you would just lose alignment.
im sure it will all depend on how it hits.

my dads v10 has dents in the frame from where the fork has hit on both sides. The older boxxers were known to suffer some damage in the crowns in a bad wreck.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Quarashi said:
My buddy's 888 direct mount stem sheared off at the bolts when he wrecked bars-first into a tree. As has been said before, it depends on how you hit.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bent a pair of handle bars while using a direct mount stem(old 888), now I have a boxxer and a traditional stem. boxxer is less stiff, and I don't mind straightening my stem after a big crash, rather than bending bars or twisting my fork. also depends on the angle of impact. thats my $.02.

·
Former Ninja
427 Posts
With some of the newer superlight direct mount stems (made with soft 6061 aluminum, no less) there is a much higher chance of breakage in a crash. With weight being almost negligible between 6061 and 7075 (T6 preferred), it is surprising that more stems aren't made out of 7075.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Quarashi said:
I did that. I tried to bend the handlebar with my leg during a crash...but ended up twisting my knee causing a tibial plateau fracture instead. The fork (2010 Boxer) was actually twisted out of alignment, but I only had to loosen the crowns and re-align them with the lowers to get it all back in shape again. Sadly, the knee took a bit longer... :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.