Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cheesiest
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should prelude this question by asking if .4 of an inch on a chainstay makes a noticable difference, because if it doesn't then this question is irrelevant.

Anyways, what are the advantages/disadvantages of changing just the chainstays on a frame from 16.5" to 16.9" for trail riding (aggressive-XC, light freeriding, generally jumping off s&*t, and maybe some dual-slalom)?

I am trying to understand geometry a little better, so I can get a custom steel hardtail, someday. :cool:.

Thanks for the input.

·
255 Posts
You will notice a difference between a 16.5 and a 16.9, mostly in terms of climbing. Your weight is shifted back a bit with the 16.5, so traction is better. You may perceive that it is easier to get the front end up because you weight is shifted back. If you go with a shorter chainstay, consider a longer TT unless you want a bike with a shorter wheelbase. The 16.9 chainstay is pretty neutral. It may also be easier to get more tire/mud clearance with the longer chainstay depending on how its bent. The framebuilder should be able to work with you to pick the chainstay length that suits your riding best. I am currently planning out a custom build with 16.5 chainstays because of the type of technical riding and climbing I deal with on the East Coast.

intheways said:
I should prelude this question by asking if .4 of an inch on a chainstay makes a noticable difference, because if it doesn't then this question is irrelevant.

Anyways, what are the advantages/disadvantages of changing just the chainstays on a frame from 16.5" to 16.9" for trail riding (aggressive-XC, light freeriding, generally jumping off s&*t, and maybe some dual-slalom)?

I am trying to understand geometry a little better, so I can get a custom steel hardtail, someday. :cool:.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
half inch difference is very noticeable

shorter = better climbing traction. recently broke my 15.9" effective chainstay alpinestars, I'd get used to riding that without doing anything on steep loose climbs except pedal, then on other bikes with 16 3/4" or so stays the rear tire (same tire on both) would spin loose because I forgot how to shift weight to maintain traction.
personally I also liked the short wheelbase, just awesome on switchbacks. If I was getting acustom hardtail I would copy the alpinestars' chainstay length, and the total wheelbase was only a little over 40" almost like a road sport touring bike.
only benefit of longer stays is a little more stability on downhills and maybe alittle plusher ride.
Another bike a really liked riding was American Bicycle Mfg's M-16 with 16" stays, so I guess I'm a short stay guy.

·
Cheesiest
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sooooo......

I should keep 16.5" for a singlespeed?

Basically, I love my pseudo-Chameleon, but I think a steel version would be great, and I'm just wondering how tweaking the geometry would affect the bike's performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts