Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im seriously considering changing my urban bike to a SS. Im just going to go with the gusset 1'er kit and a sram pc-1 chain. Ive just about had it with derailleurs... What are the dis/advantages of doing this?
THanks
Erik

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
advantages: you can fakie much easier, you wont ever drop your chain, uh yeah thats about all i know

disadvantages: i keep gears on my bike cause i like to still try urban trialisy type sh!t so yeah i like to have the wide range of ratios so if i do wanna start hopin around i can have a proper gear ratio to do it.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
advantages: don't have to worry about breaking or having to adjust the der., rolling back is easier, don't have the extra shifter cable.

disadvantages: sometimes you may want to change gears for a certain line, but you won't have that option.

many guys ride single speed just because its more simple and strong, and for dj/urban you don't need alot of tech. just something that works. single speed is cool for dj and skatepark but if you are out just riding street you actually mite want the option of different gears so that you can handle different lines better. if your having problems with deraillers just buy a very high quality one like a sram x.7 or x.9 and shifters to go with it.

edit: i ride an 8 speed set up and like the option of shifting. i know alot of guys who ride single speed and love it. i was going to switch but im not sure if i want to. its all what you want

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I ride SS for Urban, and Park mainly, and I have stopped riding my geared FS, in favor of my park bike when I ride trails with friends who only have SS bike. The only disadvantages I see are when you have to do lots of climbing, or when you pedaling across town and your not use to riding SS, but the advantages are you chain never falls off, you if your running a strong chain you don't have to run a bash guard. The front end of your bike is lighter and less cluttered with all those shifters and cables. Your over all bike ends up being lighter, and you have less parts to break.

OH and you can sell the stuff you take off on eBay.

If you have the legs and the lungs for it, it’s the way to go.

·
Still on Training Wheels!
1,107 Posts
I switched to SS on my urban/DJ rig about 3 months ago and I'm never goin back. I just relized that I never changed gears when I rode in the park or when DJing and a busted derailure has ruined too many days of riding, so I just nipped it in the bud!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
drum714 said:
I switched to SS on my urban/DJ rig about 3 months ago and I'm never goin back. I just relized that I never changed gears when I rode in the park or when DJing and a busted derailure has ruined too many days of riding, so I just nipped it in the bud!
i bought my stp with a single speed kit and tensioner already on it and i love it, when u think about it most of the time u stay in one gear so why not just run that gear, plus singlespeed is stronger, u dont need to worry about broken deraileurs, looks cooler, and u dont drop ur chain.

GO SINGLE SPEED!!!

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
I have two bikes I use for DJ and urban. I have a P.1 crmo and a P.2. I keep the gears on the P.2 because I mostly actually do trials and trail with it. but for SS I love riding it in the skateparks. if your going to be doing 180s and stuff your chain is going to jump off the casette, trying to revert in different gears all the time gets to be a pain. the only disadvantage of SS is at times it means more or less speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts