Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy my first bike (the one i'm riding now is a complete custom job). I've narrowed it down to two bikes. The Gary Fish Advanced http://cyclepath.com/itemdetails.cfm?catalogId=39&id=2823 or the Trek 3900 http://penncycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=12031.

I reallly like both bikes. If its any help, I plan on taking off my new crankset/bb off my current custom bike and putting it on which ever one I buy. Its a Bontrager Race Lite GXP.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's a really nice crankset, and those are pretty low end bikes. If the crankset is in close to new condition, I think you would be better served selling it and using the money to purchase something a little higher end like a Fisher Marlin off of that website (if it's local) or an IBEX Apline 550 ($500)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Both bikes are pretty much the same. Even the same tires. The Advance has a slightly better rear deraileur, Alivio vs the Acera on the 3900, but I doubt that would make a huge difference. I picked up an Advance last December for a commuter that I could loan to folks coming to visit for light trail duty and it's been fine. It's has around 1700 miles and no issues, probably only about 150 off road though. I would expect the 3900 to hold up similarly.

I'm not sure it would be worth the effort putting a super high end crankset on a lower end bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The crank is BRAND new, not even on my bike yet...

Think is, I play on upgrading the advanced or 3900 with some components i have (XT and LS shimano rear cassette and derailur and shifters).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've taken the advice of Chubacapras and decided to get rid of the crank and get a higher end bike :D

Now its a choice between the Gary Fisher Wahoo or the Trek 4900. I'm leaning toward the Trek. Any opinions? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
drpcken said:
I've taken the advice of Chubacapras and decided to get rid of the crank and get a higher end bike :D

Now its a choice between the Gary Fisher Wahoo or the Trek 4900. I'm leaning toward the Trek. Any opinions? :thumbsup:
I would get which ever one has falling tree detrrent technology after what happened to you yesterday.

I like the genesis geometry on my gary fisher piranha but I've seen allot of mixed feeling about the genesis geo on the forums.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Luke Trailrider said:
I would get which ever one has falling tree detrrent technology after what happened to you yesterday.

I like the genesis geometry on my gary fisher piranha but I've seen allot of mixed feeling about the genesis geo on the forums.
LOL i'm totally gonna post about that today dude.

And yes, a tree almost fell on me when I was riding yesterday. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts