Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using Specialized's new Adrenaline tires?? I run the Specialized Adrenaline 2.0, aramid bead, 60tpi. They came in stock on my new SJ 120 and only had the chance to go for a quick spin on the new bike so far. The one thing I did notice is that they seemed to pick up a lot of loose (small) gravel, enough to make me realize that I need a mud guard to protect the rear shock and maybe one for the downtube too. We'll see when things dry up a bit more, it's still pretty wet up here.

There's no review section created in Product Reviews yet, so I was wondering what others thought of them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Adrenaline Pro tires

Wild74 said:
Anyone using Specialized's new Adrenaline tires?? I run the Specialized Adrenaline 2.0, aramid bead, 60tpi. They came in stock on my new SJ 120 and only had the chance to go for a quick spin on the new bike so far. The one thing I did notice is that they seemed to pick up a lot of loose (small) gravel, enough to make me realize that I need a mud guard to protect the rear shock and maybe one for the downtube too. We'll see when things dry up a bit more, it's still pretty wet up here.

There's no review section created in Product Reviews yet, so I was wondering what others thought of them.
I have the Pro tires on my Stumpy 100 Expert disc. They are aramid bead, and 120 tpi. I'm sure yours are too. The same thing happeded to me, and I got a mouth full of small pebbles. That's from the sticky rubber on a new tire. After a couple of miles (or when they get dusty) that goes away.
P.S. I just love these tires, they are the best I've tried and pretty light too. They corner great, and are smooth on the flats.

Walter

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
Wild74 said:
Anyone using Specialized's new Adrenaline tires?? I run the Specialized Adrenaline 2.0, aramid bead, 60tpi. QUOTE]

Glad you asked! I'm anxious to hear other opinions about them too. I've got 'em (stock) on my new SJ Pro 120. I'm assuming you've got the "Specialized Adrenaline Pro 2.0" with the dual compound rubber.

I love the sticky rubber & knobs on the outside of the tire. It's my first tire w/ dual compounds or softer rubber, but I'm sold - don't think I'll get another tire w/ out dual compound or overall softer rubber ever again. They are amazing at cornering and "correcting" (catching themselves once slipping sideways), at least a notch better than anything I've ever ridden. And I like that they feel wider than they are, more like a 2.1" tire, to me.

I'm not sure about mud performance. I initially thought they shed mud just fine (there's descent spacing outside of the center row of knobs), but after more time in sticky Oregon clay, I've had a few "donut days" where I'm riding on a packed-up mud donut for a little while. Frankly I haven't ridden enough tires to know if I'm just expecting a miracle here, but I'd guess there are better mud tires out there.

Rolling resistance seems fine. They certainly feel quicker than my Panaracer Clasic Smoke/Dart combo that I most recently used. Also, I think they're 620 grams according to Spesh., which I believe isn't too bad for a fairly aggressive tire.

Overall I'm pretty impressed. The dual compound has me interested in trying the Roll-X -- which every magazine seems to love, but which get very mixed reviews on MTBR -- but I think the Roll-X could be even less mud-oriented, so I might stay away. Frankly if I had to pick today I'd get the Adrenaline Pro again, the corner performance has saved my sloppy-riding arse several times.

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
Forgot to add: yeah, I noticed a lot of surprisingly loud "pebble ping" off my down tube when I first got the bike. It has subsided a bit -- or maybe I'm just getting used to it. Doesn't bother me.

And do get the mud guard. I recently upgraded to the "double-guard" version (search for "mud guard" in this forum and you'll find a picture of how some people have used two of the guard: one facing up, one down. Takes some plastic shaving to get it to work...)

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
it's a good tire for a variety of conditions. It does pick up more trail gunk (mud, pebbles etc) than a dedicated loose surface or mud tire, but overall it works pretty well. I wanna get a narrower rear for the wet season we've been having here. narrow is usually better for traction in mud, and also it throws less crap on your drivetrain. :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Adrenaline Pro 2.2

I just replaced my 04 2.2 enduro pros on my Enduro with Adrenaline Pro 2.2's. They are a little heavier than my old tires but so much bigger. If my old tires were 2.2's the new Adrenalines look like 2.4's! The clearance is actually a little close in the rear of my Enduro, which really surprised me. When I was shopping for a new tire, I looked at the new 05 Enduro Pro's, but they looked a tad too aggresive. When I compared the Adrenalines to the Enduro's, the side knobbies are identical in size and pattern, but the center of the Adrenaline's looked as if they would roll better. The rubber is slightly harder as well. I figured the Adrenaline's would offer a great compromise, low rolling resistance with aggressive cornering knobs. So far I have not been disappointed at all. I think they are a great tire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just to clarify, mine aren't the Pro model at 120tpi, mine are 60tpi, but they are the dual compound (55/60 or something like that, I would have to double-check it out at home). They aren't the Sport model that's available from Specialized's Online Store either, probably a OEM-type tire. In Canada, The Adrenaline Pro is stock on all SJ 120 except the SJ 120 Comp, which is the one I bought.

I did also notice that they seemed wider than my WTB Motoraptors 2.0 (on my hardtail), at first I though it was because the Adrenaline apear to be more of a squarer profile, rather than the Motoraptors' rounder profile. Anyway, finally took out the tape measure and compared the too. From outside of knob to outside of knob, they are about 2.1" (or a bit more) at 50psi, compared to the 2.0" (or slightly less) for the WTB's at about the same pressure.

They're calling for 17C (63F) tomorrow (compared to 28F this morning on the way to work), so I should be able to take it out for a longer spin then! :)

EDIT: - They are a few reviews too in the Wheels & Tires Forum, I read them after first posting here yesterday.
- Trails around here vary a bit from gravel paths, dirt fire roads, dry singletrack with plenty of roots, muddy/slippery when it rains, a few rocks here and there... probably typical to what you would find in Northeastern US forrest country.

·
Registered
499 Posts
2005 Adrenaline Pro 2.1 and 2.0 review

I bought a pair of Adrenaline 2.1s a few months back for my backup hardtail. I like them,
the 2.1s are very large volume, more like a 2.3. Smoothed out the ride, gripped like crazy but were a bit too large on that bike. I switched them to my Enduro (on Mavic F219s), still great performance with reasonable weight, decent in mud too. I picked up some take off 2.0s for my hardtail, they are more like a 2.1 size. I'd never run Specialized tires before, these seem pretty good, so far they are wearing well too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.