Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what are the best trails in the Northeastern ADKs. I know there is the Jackrabbit trail in Placid. I also hear that there is new singletrack by the golf course. I have searched for it on several occasions but apparently i am stupid and can't find anything.

From what I've heard, MTBs are allowed anywhere in the Park except for wilderness areas. Is this true? Also, I see that Lyon mountain is not in a wilderness area, are there any good biking trails on that mountain.

What ever happened to the Adk mtb coalition that was working on creating a good system in the ADKs. Haven't heard about that in a while. I think if someone got it moving again more than enough people would come out and help do trail work. A good system in the ADKs would be a great sign for mountain bike access across the country and I think that local riders would understand the significance of that.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I only know that most places I've looked are closed to bikes. How about the Blackfly Challenge, with 40 miles of dirt road and 2.7 singletrack?? I've heard of a few 7 mile loops thats about it. Then Bike magazine had a cover article on the area a few years back. I've heard good things about Novia Scotia...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi!

There are LOTS of great mtb routes in the ADKs, especially in the new easement properties the state recently acquired from Champion and International paper companies. Plus, they are now cutting a deal with Domptar (includes Lyon Mt.) which is ~60kacres sw of Plattsburg. I've met with the state foresters in Ray Brook for maps, lots of places to play in there.

Nearer Plattsburg there is great single track too. We have a race series at Cadyville (Couple mile s. on route 3 from PLattsburg) on a 4mile singletrack route. The series starts next Tuesday, come check it out, its low key, with 1,2,3 lap races - something for everyone. The locals will fill you in on the other good stuff!

Im from near Saranac Lake, and also highly recommend the weekly Tuesday rides from the LAke PLacid shop 'Placid Planet'. Another good bunch who will fill you in on places to play in the ADKS!

Cadyville series: northnet.org/roar

Placid Planet Shop: placidplanetbicycles.com

bikeadirondacks.com

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lake George

RichardB said:
Hi!

There are LOTS of great mtb routes in the ADKs, especially in the new easement properties the state recently acquired from Champion and International paper companies. Plus, they are now cutting a deal with Domptar (includes Lyon Mt.) which is ~60kacres sw of Plattsburg. I've met with the state foresters in Ray Brook for maps, lots of places to play in there.

Nearer Plattsburg there is great single track too. We have a race series at Cadyville (Couple mile s. on route 3 from PLattsburg) on a 4mile singletrack route. The series starts next Tuesday, come check it out, its low key, with 1,2,3 lap races - something for everyone. The locals will fill you in on the other good stuff!

Im from near Saranac Lake, and also highly recommend the weekly Tuesday rides from the LAke PLacid shop 'Placid Planet'. Another good bunch who will fill you in on places to play in the ADKS!

Cadyville series: northnet.org/roar

Placid Planet Shop: placidplanetbicycles.com

bikeadirondacks.com
Here is a link to a place by Lake George!
Trix
http://www.adksportsfitness.com/back_issues/july2002/articles/mtbiking.html

·
Registered
32 Posts
More on Lyon Mt:

I rode the Placid Planet spring century yesterday (road of course..), and spoke with some folks who work for the Nature Conservancy. They are now the owners of Lyon Mt, and hope to transfer ownership to NYS in the next couple of years. MTBs are allowed, but be nice to the trails so we can keep it that way, and avoid the hiking trail to the top as it is well used with the firetower destination.

If you know the start for the telemark trail south of the hiking trail, go up there and there is an old logging road/skidoo trail only .25 km up. If you check that out, you will probably find other trails too, left to the cliffs, right toward the hiking trail.

I tele ski in there ALOT, but I've never checked it out for MTB. Enjoy, and let us know what you find!!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
the hidden trails of lake placid

dkell113 said:
I am wondering what are the best trails in the Northeastern ADKs. I know there is the Jackrabbit trail in Placid. I also hear that there is new singletrack by the golf course. I have searched for it on several occasions but apparently i am stupid and can't find anything.

From what I've heard, MTBs are allowed anywhere in the Park except for wilderness areas. Is this true? Also, I see that Lyon mountain is not in a wilderness area, are there any good biking trails on that mountain.

What ever happened to the Adk mtb coalition that was working on creating a good system in the ADKs. Haven't heard about that in a while. I think if someone got it moving again more than enough people would come out and help do trail work. A good system in the ADKs would be a great sign for mountain bike access across the country and I think that local riders would understand the significance of that.
the ones by the golf cours and the other fun trails in l.p. would be impossible to find without someone showing you around. for example a lot of trails start and end at some millionares vacation home.no worries you dissapear into the woods super fast.we have a informal group ride from our store on wednesday nights high peaks cyclery.www.highpeaksma.com

or if you really want to challenge yourself come on up to whiteface mountain.even at the base the x-c trails are great.

hope to see ya on the trails. it needs to be more of a scene up here.too many road bikes and all.

downhill mike

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
it's still in n.y. state just a little further north than most

whiteface mountain in lake placid, n.y. will open for the season on friday june 24th. the cloudsplitter gondola will operate all fridays thru mondays until october 10th.

saturday the 25th will be our customer appreciation day and we will be selling lift passes for a reduced rate of $15.00 and also offer 50% off our rental bikes.

your lift pass will also be good for 1 free beverage at our local brew pub for friday and saturday. on saturday the 25th we will have an informal after downhilling party at the lake placid pub and brewery.

for more info please check our website at www.highpeaksma.com

thanks
downhill mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.