Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I like to ride my bike.
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the 3rd feature on the Fox DHX coil 3.0? I know it has rebound, preload and is the 3rd pedal platform??? How is the shock on drops and fast downhills - climbing?

Oh, and does the preload adj. actually work or is it just there so it's not DHX 2.0?
By the way, it would be on the KHS AM 2000. Thanks :D
 

·
lurker no more
Joined
·
168 Posts
Fox DHX 3.0

RideFaster said:
What is the 3rd feature on the Fox DHX coil 3.0? I know it has rebound, preload and is the 3rd pedal platform??? How is the shock on drops and fast downhills - climbing?

Oh, and does the preload adj. actually work or is it just there so it's not DHX 2.0?
By the way, it would be on the KHS AM 2000. Thanks :D
Per the 2005 Fox Shock Manual:
DHX 3.0 comes with three (or two, depending on how you look at it) adjustements,
1) adjustable preload (via the preload spring, but this adjustment comes standard even on the fox vanilla and is designed to achieve proper sag with any coil spung shock)
2) rebound damping (via the red rebound adjuster knob)
3) compression damping (via the boost valve)

I haven't had a lot of time on my DHX coil (but love it so far) and a lot of people swear by them. Haven't heard a lot negatives on the boards either, but that's everyone elses' opinion. See if you can get your hands on one to demo. I came off an air shock, so the coil is very plush to me.

Never had any experience on a KHS, so can't comment anything useful here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
This shock/bike performs very well. Can easily change the feel of this bike by adjusting travel, rebound, platform, or via the spring. To be honest I have just set spring and played with the rest. I couldn't be happier with this bike. It climbs and descends like a dream. The group I ride with claims that I have drastically increased in speed. It's a huge improvment over my old air shock. Good Luck
 

·
I like to ride my bike.
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cowsbark2 said:
This shock/bike performs very well. Can easily change the feel of this bike by adjusting travel, rebound, platform, or via the spring. To be honest I have just set spring and played with the rest. I couldn't be happier with this bike. It climbs and descends like a dream. The group I ride with claims that I have drastically increased in speed. It's a huge improvment over my old air shock. Good Luck
I actually got a '05 GF KingFisher on closeout for $1300. With a 4.0. I like it, but it could be better.Yes, maybe the 5.0 would be better, but it just does not have the Fox feel. I have the compression loooow at 15 PSI to get it as plush as possible and zero propedal. But, I pay for low comp. when :D I do 5' to flat:D .....:eek: I've even bottomed on 1' drops:eek: .....:eekster: with a uphill landing:eekster: .... Thing I dislike is that the shock feels like a XC shock and the propedal is always on regardless of what setting it's at. This is a 7 inch bike...and I get 20% sag. Maybe the stock spring is too firm for me (110lbs) but when I have the money, I may get a Roco.

It's okay, but, when I got my Travis fork, it made the Fox look like complete crap. Yeah, I know, it's a fork that's being compared to a rear shock...Oh well. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I guess I can't agree with RideFaster, I certainly have a a few pounds and him(like 65) but I ride with 140psi on 5" or 6" and its quite plush and climbs great. I hit 4' to flat with no problems at all. I'd try a lighter spring before I'd go buy a new shock. I'd be willing to bet a simple email to Fox would get you a replacement for free.
 

·
I like to ride my bike.
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cowsbark2 said:
I guess I can't agree with RideFaster, I certainly have a a few pounds and him(like 65) but I ride with 140psi on 5" or 6" and its quite plush and climbs great. I hit 4' to flat with no problems at all. I'd try a lighter spring before I'd go buy a new shock. I'd be willing to bet a simple email to Fox would get you a replacement for free.
I'll probably try that before getting a new shock seeing as it is 10x less expensive or free. I'm just concerned that as I get more confidence and do 6-9' to flat, that I'll bottom even with a hellova lot of compression. Keep in mind that I don't have that Bottom out adj. which would have been nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,368 Posts
RideFaster said:
I actually got a '05 GF KingFisher on closeout for $1300. With a 4.0. I like it, but it could be better.Yes, maybe the 5.0 would be better, but it just does not have the Fox feel. I have the compression loooow at 15 PSI to get it as plush as possible and zero propedal. But, I pay for low comp. when :D I do 5' to flat:D .....:eek: I've even bottomed on 1' drops:eek: .....:eekster: with a uphill landing:eekster: .... Thing I dislike is that the shock feels like a XC shock and the propedal is always on regardless of what setting it's at. This is a 7 inch bike...and I get 20% sag. Maybe the stock spring is too firm for me (110lbs) but when I have the money, I may get a Roco.

It's okay, but, when I got my Travis fork, it made the Fox look like complete crap. Yeah, I know, it's a fork that's being compared to a rear shock...Oh well. :cool:
Shocks fine you probably just don't have it tuned correctly. If you read the manual ( or shock) minimum pres. is 75 psi. Check your sag figures or go to a lower spring rate. If you buy a Roco they too require proper springs / adjustments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Nice, well keep in mind that if you have a spring better fit to your weight you can not only adjust the sping preload but also increase psi. Your only running 15psi now the shock is capable of 300psi, and generally you just match you weight(give or take a bit). At only 110lbs bottoming a shock should be you last concern in shock choice and setup.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top