Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is changing the oil the only way you can do this? can someone explain how it is done and what oil to use (slowing rebound)

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Definitely post what fork/shock you have. But normally you should have an external rebound adjustment somewhere. If not, you can usually change the rebound by changing oil like you mentioned depending on the fork. The maker will usually have guidelines in the manual but heavier oil slows rebound and lighter oil speeds it up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's true. I remember I had an old Marzocchi that I had to mix two different weight oils to get the ride right. It was a real a pain and now I doubt I would get a fork or shock without a rebound clicker even though most do have one now.

Jim

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they are just 150mm drop offs that come stock on a 2005 coiler. the manual said it has SSV damping but i don't think its adjustable.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
tim_54321 said:
they are just 150mm drop offs that come stock on a 2005 coiler. the manual said it has SSV damping but i don't think its adjustable.
You have to muck with oil weights. More viscuous oil adds compression and also slows the rebound down. Marzocchi forks ship with 7.5 weight oil. Experiment with different oil weights. A lot of people have problem with the rebound being too fast because they're using too much air in the legs. Drop the air pressure, that'll help a little.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
You have to muck with oil weights. More viscuous oil adds compression and also slows the rebound down. Marzocchi forks ship with 7.5 weight oil. Experiment with different oil weights. A lot of people have problem with the rebound being too fast because they're using too much air in the legs. Drop the air pressure, that'll help a little.
what exactly do you mean by adds compression? also the manual says that the right leg is positive air pressure while the left leg is preload air pressure. What is the difference between the 2. Would i be better off using one side over the other or are they essentially the same.

Thanks again

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
tim_54321 said:
what exactly do you mean by adds compression? also the manual says that the right leg is positive air pressure while the left leg is preload air pressure. What is the difference between the 2. Would i be better off using one side over the other or are they essentially the same.

Thanks again
A more viscuous oil will make the fork more difficult to compress. Left leg (while sitting on the bike) is the leg that contains the spring. Put the air in the right leg, I would say no more than 20 PSI. 5 PSI or less in the other leg. Otherwise the rebound is just too fast...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
A more viscuous oil will make the fork more difficult to compress. Left leg (while sitting on the bike) is the leg that contains the spring. Put the air in the right leg, I would say no more than 20 PSI. 5 PSI or less in the other leg. Otherwise the rebound is just too fast...
thanks thats really helpful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts