Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that adjusting the travel on an adjustable fork changes the geometry but does it change the way the fork feels. If I ride a 110-130 fork at 110 will it feel stiffer than at 130. Do different forks work differently in this regard because of dampening design? Give me some explanation on this.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
own154 said:
I know that adjusting the travel on an adjustable fork changes the geometry but does it change the way the fork feels. If I ride a 110-130 fork at 110 will it feel stiffer than at 130. Do different forks work differently in this regard because of dampening design? Give me some explanation on this.
Rockshox U-Turn and Fox Talas forks firm up the progressive spring rate to be appropriate for the travel when reducing the travel.

The Marzocchi ETA leaves about 1 or 2 inches of softer travel, and is designed for on-the-fly temporary climbing use to steepen the frame angles shifting rider weight more forward and help keep the front tire on the ground.

- ray

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
If you're talking about Manitous with the Rapid Travel Adjust II system, then yes. All it does is compress the spring and locks it down. Which is almost better than a lockout system for general riding, IMO. You get better climbing geometry, but a firm ride with still some compliance over the bumps. But dont take any hard hits with it engaged, it's not built for that.

I'm not really familiar with the rest. I don't think ETA or ECC on Zokes affect the compression rate. I know TALAS doesn't at all. RS, who knows, never had one...yet I am looking at the Pike with interest.

So, I don't know much with the exception of the Rapid Travel Adjust system. Actually, I don't think RTWD on Manitou's affect the spring rate either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.